GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else find Mk7 Seats uncomfortable?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I think overall they feel pretty good. They could have a bit more knee support. The washers that Diggs pointed out looks pretty interesting. I had some Recaro SRDs and the Schroth Autocontrol harness way back in the day...those were really good.

I'm 5'8" and 145lbs.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I started to think about it more after reading this thread while I was in the car yesterday. I focused on how I felt in the seat more. I think an area that lacks of support a tad is the very lower back area. It could use more pressure to prevent yourself from dipping into it. Otherwise I think they're Okay... I think I'm part of what seems like the common height around here, 6 foot. Around 210lbs.

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
Yeah, I do. In my SE I get restless and some lower back uncomfortableness that I never got in my A4/Miata etc. I did a 9 hour day a week ago and it wasn't really all that bad but good to hear I'm not alone.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't get the lower back pain, I get the "this bottom cushion feels like a rock" after 4 hours.

The seats in my wife's Outback are the most comfortable things I've ever done a road trip in. She had 3 previous "near luxury" cars, a MB GLC, MB C300, and a Lexus IS350, and they weren't nearly as comfortable. The Outback seats are pretty supportive too.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I’m 5’9”, 160 lbs pretty lean and skinny and I slide around in my leather golf r seats. There is just not enough lower bulster to hold me in the seat when hard Cornering. I have always hated leather seats for this reason. Which is why I ordered two recaro sportster cs seats. Got black cloth.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I’m 5’9”, 160 lbs pretty lean and skinny and I slide around in my leather golf r seats. There is just not enough lower bulster to hold me in the seat when hard Cornering. I have always hated leather seats for this reason. Which is why I ordered two recaro sportster cs seats. Got black cloth.
What vendor did you use for the cloth recaros? I thought CS were replaced by the GT model now?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Only issue I have with the seats is that they don't sit that low. I'm a hefty guy at 5'10 190 lbs.

Shiny_Rx

Car(s)
Alltrack
The seats in my 2018 Alltrack S are pretty uncomfortable after 30-45 minutes of driving. Creates lower back discomfort. Recently had a three hour drive (each way), and that was not fun, lol. I am 6' and 180lbs, was a bit heavier when I first got the car and still had the discomfort issues, so its not a matter of my body needing more "cushioning". I found a thread on here from 2019 of someone who swapped 8V RS3 seats (front and rear) into their mk7, reporting that they had 100% functionality although it required some wiring work.

Will be working on a writeup for those interested in the process. For now this is what I have for you..

It's not as straightforward as simply swapping seats, swapping a module, and calling it a day when swapping in Audi seats to a VW on the MQB platform.

- While the seats from any Audi 8V A3/S3/RS3 physically will bolt straight in, they are NOT plug n' play with the MK7.

- aside from the airbag harnesses, nothing else is physically compatible as-is, and even then there are differences.

- Not all MQB Golf / GTI / R have the same main harness(es) - appears to be different with pre-post FL

- Repining of basically ALL wires at level of seat/car coupling is required.

- there is more than one way to 'skin this cat', which for you may or may not require skinning your seats.

As of a few weeks ago everything has been tested and confirmed working 100%. Power, heat, occupancy sensor, airbags, position sensors, seatbelt sensors. Everything was done as if it were from factory including proper crimping of new pins and repining - seats now plug in and out just like the original seats.

Seats also function 100% as intended physically, no issues. The only thing I now have to complete is wiring in the rear ambient footwell lighting. Parts are on order for me to build the necessary harness for this as well.

Cant seem to find his writeup, though I am interested in swapping Audi MQB seats into my Alltrack (probably S3 seats). Main reason for wanting to go with Audi seats is just aesthetics, I think they look much nicer than any of the VW options.

Anyone have any experience of swapping Audi seats into a mk7? Hoping to be able to get this done before having to return to a long commute.

Thomas.brian23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
6’ and just under 170 lbs here.

I find my GTI’s seats OK for anything less than 90 minutes. After that, I get the lower back pain noted elsewhere in this thread. Seat bottom also seems hard at that point too. I wonder if the additional adjustability of the full-power seats in the Autobahns would help me at all.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Just adding that I did the mod to raise the front of the seat ~0.75" and it made a HUGE difference for me. I'm 6'1" and had comfort issues with too much pressure on my tailbone due to the lack of thigh support. The mod made a world of difference and was super easy and cheap. The rest of the seating configuration feels great to me -- the aggressive side bolsters feel nice, and the lumbar support is just right at the max setting.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I just did the spacer mod and it’s great, I did use different hardware than what was in this thread. I tried the Hillman spacers first, but the bolts did not fit through and I thought they seemed really thin.

instead I ordered some spacers from McMaster-Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/92871A361/

It cost a little more ($20) for bolts and spacer shipped, but I have a lot more faith in these spacers. Much beefier and stronger.

As for the comfort… it’s amazing! I had been regretting not getting an Autobahn just for the tilting seats, now I no longer feel that way.

kilgoretrout321

Car(s)
'16 GTI MKVII
OMG Yes. I was just thinking about getting it reupholstered or replaced because my back has been killing me lately. I just cannot seem to get comfortable. Not only that, but my right hip and knee have been bothering me quite a bit lately the more I drive. It's sad, but my GTI isn't as comfortable as I originally thought