GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else find Mk7 Seats uncomfortable?

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I'm 6'1" - on the skinnier side - and I've been finding my seats fairly uncomfortable recently. I'm to the point where I'm constantly adjusting/shifting my weight.
It's starting to kill the enjoyment of driving for me. Even on my shorter 12 mile commute. :confused: I've tried a number of different seat positions and being farther back and higher help some, but I just can't get comfortable.

I've never thought about driver seat comfort in any of my other vehicles. They always felt fine. Maybe the seats are just a little too firm for my skinney frame..

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
What exactly is your issue? What part of your body is uncomfortable?
Legs, Thighs? Butt? Any part of your back?

I'm 6-0 160-170. I have always found my seats to be comfortable.
I keep it at it's lowest setting, and when my clutch pedal is on the floor I have just an ever so slight bend in the knee.
Seat back is also pretty upright and lumbar support is cranked to the max lol.

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
The golf seats seem pretty comfortable, but I've felt that shiftyness on certain rides.

I was actually wondering what everyone's seat settings were, or what's optimal for a given height.
I still haven't tried adjusting things too much for fear I'll make it worse and won't remember where my original one was, lol

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Rotate seat back as far as you can so you feel back of legs having more contact with seat. This transfers weight to rear and lower back more. After driving a truck for 20 years I had to slowly work. You will never reach F1 seating position but this is the direction I am refereeing to. Rotate seat back similar to how Diggs24 suggested. I have full power seat so easier to adjust.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
He's got a Golf. I find them very comfortable.
I'm 6' and 205, and these are the settings I use.
Height - 3 clicks from bottom
Lumbar - all the way forward
Angle - no idea, maybe 70°

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
6'1, 240 lbs here. The R seats are among the most comfortable I've ever owned - for me at least. Try messing with the tilt of the bottom cushion, if you haven't tried that yet. I have mine fairly aggressively tilted with the front raised, providing more thigh support.

Most uncomfortable seats in any car I've ever owned? My Mk4 .:R32. I was fine for up to 30 minutes or so, but anything longer than that and I was in unbearable back pain. It was nuts, those seats were almost universally loved. Never worked for me.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
The seats in my GTI are like Lazyboys compared to the Recaros in the Evo I spent 11 years daily driving...

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Wouldn't mind a little more thigh support up front. That's probably your issue.

I think you're right. I'm going to look into this! Looks like 1/2" spacer for tilt makes a world of different.

I got comfortable easily, but wanted to set up the "optimum" seating position to see if I was missing out on anything. It seemed a bit stiff at first, but I like it a lot now.

I used this Recaro method : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjANegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1c2mS7s5rSd1GNOGI6Wudb

I'll check this out thanks! Looks like my seats are missing step 4 and 5. And that's kind of where I'm having my issues.

Last edited:

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
What seats do you have?

Manual plaid seats. I'd probably be happier with the power leather ones, as I'm sure they have more adjustment options...

Rotate seat back as far as you can so you feel back of legs having more contact with seat. This transfers weight to rear and lower back more. After driving a truck for 20 years I had to slowly work. You will never reach F1 seating position but this is the direction I am refereeing to. Rotate seat back similar to how Diggs24 suggested. I have full power seat so easier to adjust.

I'm max distance back linearly, but I don't think my seat has a rotate feature. I'll have to double check but I think I just have vertical, horizontal, lumbar, and back angle..

I'd actually like to go back further, but then I can't reach the wheel. Sadly I have long legs.
My wheel is max extended out and up and I'm as far back as I can go while still being able to comfortably reach it. I wish the wheel would come out a bit further.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Try messing with the tilt of the bottom cushion, if you haven't tried that yet. I have mine fairly aggressively tilted with the front raised, providing more thigh support.

I don't think my S seats (nonpower) actually have a rotate option. I think Diggs is spot on about the mod I can do to help with this issue.

Last edited: