GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Damn. I wonder what happens if I go in with my used mk6 module that I installed? Wonder if they will just put in the updated version?

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
http://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/

my vin# does NOT show any results yet... :paddle:

2009 GTI 2.0T PZEV 2-DOOR MANUAL
We could not find recall/service campaign information about this vehicle because:
  • This vehicle does not have an open recall/service campaign;
  • A recall/service campaign was issued more than 15 years ago; OR
  • There was an internal server error

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion

acewayne

Ready to race!

my vin# does NOT show any results yet... :paddle:

2009 GTI 2.0T PZEV 2-DOOR MANUAL
We could not find recall/service campaign information about this vehicle because:
  • This vehicle does not have an open recall/service campaign;
  • A recall/service campaign was issued more than 15 years ago; OR
  • There was an internal server error

I don't think it's going to show up until Volkswagen starts sending letters. I pulled up all the PDFs on NHTSA regarding the recall. VW sent the notice to NHTSA on 1/6/17 that they would be performing a recall. They haven't stated when they're going to send out the letters yet.

I looked up the first vin in the vin range they listed on these documents and that vin doesn't even show a recall in place yet but its clearly part of it on their documents. The recall just doesn't show yet since it's still new probably.

wondermost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI
I don't think it's going to show up until Volkswagen starts sending letters. I pulled up all the PDFs on NHTSA regarding the recall. VW sent the notice to NHTSA on 1/6/17 that they would be performing a recall. They haven't stated when they're going to send out the letters yet.

I looked up the first vin in the vin range they listed on these documents and that vin doesn't even show a recall in place yet but its clearly part of it on their documents. The recall just doesn't show yet since it's still new probably.

Just got off the phone with a batshit crazy VW Care rep. I noticed the same thing as above - that the same VINs that begin and end the range of affected vehicles for the recall are nowhere to be found in VW's recall system. The rep insisted to me that just because a VIN is at the beginning and end of the range doesn't mean it's affected!(???) When I said, "Why would you start the range of affected VINs with vehicles that are not affected?" she scoffed at me and said I didn't understand how recalls work.

:lol:

anyway, I am currently dealing with this exact issue - ABS light is on, brake light flashing, power steering goes out, EPC and Engine Fault Workshop come on - and it's dangerous but I don't have the $2600 the dealer quoted me to fix it.

Really hoping there's just a delay in issuing the recall but everyone at VW seems to insist they would have issued the recall for my VIN by now if it was affected—even though I'm the exact candidate the NHTSA seems to be mentioning. :paddle:

Any updates or insights you guys get, please post here.

acewayne

Ready to race!
Just got off the phone with a batshit crazy VW Care rep. I noticed the same thing as above - that the same VINs that begin and end the range of affected vehicles for the recall are nowhere to be found in VW's recall system. The rep insisted to me that just because a VIN is at the beginning and end of the range doesn't mean it's affected!(???) When I said, "Why would you start the range of affected VINs with vehicles that are not affected?" she scoffed at me and said I didn't understand how recalls work.

:lol:

anyway, I am currently dealing with this exact issue - ABS light is on, brake light flashing, power steering goes out, EPC and Engine Fault Workshop come on - and it's dangerous but I don't have the $2600 the dealer quoted me to fix it.

Really hoping there's just a delay in issuing the recall but everyone at VW seems to insist they would have issued the recall for my VIN by now if it was affected—even though I'm the exact candidate the NHTSA seems to be mentioning. :paddle:

Any updates or insights you guys get, please post here.

I wouldn't worry. As you said it wouldn't make sense for the VIN at the start and end range to not be part of the recall...

Take a look at this which is in one of the three PDF documents on the NHTSA regarding the recall:

"Remedy:
Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will update the ABS control module software to improve the module's self-testing abilities. Any module that fails the new diagnostic test will be replaced. These repairs will be made free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provide a notification schedule."

Based on the bold (yes, it says 'provide' not 'provided'), they've notified NHTSA of the recall and their plan to notify owners with a letter, but they haven't established when that will happen yet. Once the letters start going out I'd expect the VINs to be loaded for everyone to check.

All I know is I'm getting my refund...:paddle:

wondermost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI
I wouldn't worry. As you said it wouldn't make sense for the VIN at the start and end range to not be part of the recall...

Take a look at this which is in one of the three PDF documents on the NHTSA regarding the recall:

"Remedy:
Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will update the ABS control module software to improve the module's self-testing abilities. Any module that fails the new diagnostic test will be replaced. These repairs will be made free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provide a notification schedule."

Based on the bold (yes, it says 'provide' not 'provided'), they've notified NHTSA of the recall and their plan to notify owners with a letter, but they haven't established when that will happen yet. Once the letters start going out I'd expect the VINs to be loaded for everyone to check.

All I know is I'm getting my refund...:paddle:

Thanks for the perspectives, everyone. Seeing as I'm currently dealing with this problem, do you guys recommend I just put this repair on a credit card and cross my fingers VW will reimburse later? Or should I wait until the VIN shows up to take my car in? I'm getting a bunch of transmission problems since this problem arose and it makes driving really unsafe. At the same time, the car is driveable, I just have to pull over every couple of miles until the transmission starts behaving itself.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
It's definitely worth $100 diagnosis fee too see what's wrong, but I wouldn't pay for the ABS repair yet. Have you tried driving with Traction Control OFF?

wondermost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI
don't worry, I had already gotten a *$145* diagnosis from the dealer. Hey, what's an extra $45 when you're about to lose several months of income? They confirmed - ABS module failure. The only thing I was waiting for was to see if VW would issue the recall sooner. Today, I was driving in heavy traffic in central LA and the car wouldn't shift out of first gear, had to push my car to the side of the road, with the MFD flashing all the gears. All because of a brake module. smh. The irony. I took it in to the dealer to get it fixed today and I'll have to eat the $2600 repair.

Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed in VW as corporate citizens - the news the past few months doesn't help. They have gotten too good at shirking responsibility. If anyone *successfully* has a car that fits the recall, please post!

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI

My recall is listed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

proxima

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Sweet, my recall is listed too!
I've had my mk6 abs module sitting on the shelf for months, I guess procrastination sometimes pays off!

This will be my first recall, how exactly does the process work?