GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS Control Module

altezza3363

Ready to race!
So my 09 GTI's ABS module failed last week and got a quote from VW today for repairing the ABS module...for $2,300...
I really can't afford that and was hoping someone in the SoCal (LA, Orange County) area who had experience in fixing failed ABS module to help me replace the module. I am willing to pay a decent amount. I know there is guideline and even video online, but I really need someone with experience in searching for new/used module, VAGcom coding, and resetting the module.
I would really appreciate for any help:bow:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I would call up VWOA and get a claim going with them. They will have a local dealership confirm the failure before they will do anything. But I would plead with them to cover it out of good will. They have been covering some of them randomly, sometimes 100% sometimes 50%, but it's worth a shot. I had mine covered by VWOA 100%.

altezza3363

Ready to race!
Thanks for responding. I did call VWoA yesterday and the guy I talked to said he couldn't do anything more than file a case for me. You mind provide more information (case number, claim number, or complaint number) about your case?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Theres a couple big threads on this. What a lot of people have been doing is replacing in a used Mk6 unit for about 100-200. Then coding it in vcds yourself

altezza3363

Ready to race!
I have found a used one on eBay.
The seller told me it's off a 2012 GTI, is there a way to check for compatibility? Or it will fit for sure? Mine is a 2009 TSI.
Thanks.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
It's such a common problem for 2009 GTI's that I think you could find a local independent German car repair shop that would would install a used pump for you - especially since you are in SoCal.

Try searching for a local VW (or Audi) club, then see if someone can recommend a good local shop and go talk to them.

I paid $200 for a used pump and installed it myself. But you must have access to a VagCom and know how to set the long coding and sensor adaptations. I documented the procedure here:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196357

Assuming you get a recommendation for a good local VW / Audi shop, they probably have already done a few. But if not, print out the procedure, let them look it over and see if they would quote on installing a used pump.

Understand they won't be willing to cover free labor warranty in the event you get a bad pump from the boneyard (bad luck for you in that case), but I think they would be willing to install and program it at their normal labor rate. AllData implies it's a 2.4 hour job, but no-way they can hit that time unless they have done it a few times. I'm guessing 4 or 5 hours - so maybe they would do it for about $500 + used pump/controller $200 = $700. Still as lot of money, but 1/3 of what your dealer wants.

Regardless - you have an 8 year old car. You really need to find a good local shop (not a Dealer) to work on it. Good Luck!!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I have found a used one on eBay.
The seller told me it's off a 2012 GTI, is there a way to check for compatibility? Or it will fit for sure? Mine is a 2009 TSI.
Thanks.

Im not sure what exactly fits and what doesn't, but a lot of us had success getting any mk6 module that has the same trans. I just got a 2010 GTI DSG one for my 09 GLI DSG and added two 00s to the coding and it worked perfectly.

altezza3363

Ready to race!
Fred: I saw your thread earlier and it makes me think I can fix it myself. But can you explain abit about how to read and rewrite the module code? I have vag-com cable but I'm very not familiar with it.
BudgetPhoenix: Does the transmission type matter? The one that I found on ebay is off a MT GTI and mine is a DSG...

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Manual cars have the hill hold options, it should work.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Fred: I saw your thread earlier and it makes me think I can fix it myself. But can you explain abit about how to read and rewrite the module code? I have vag-com cable but I'm very not familiar with it.
BudgetPhoenix: Does the transmission type matter? The one that I found on ebay is off a MT GTI and mine is a DSG...

Hum - not sure where to start. Using a VagCom isn't something that's very easy to describe in a simple post. Even worse, I still don't have one myself - just borrowed it from a friend to do my ABS job - and was lucky enough to have some last minute help from a mechanic buddy to assist with the four sensor adaptations that needed to be done at the end.

They include the Steering Angle ; Lateral Acceleration ; Brake Pressure ; and Longitudinal Acceleration sensors. There is also a System Function test which can be run. See Ross-Tech's wiki page:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ctronics_(MK60)
If link is broken, try: http://tinyurl.com/RossTechABS

Start by hooking up VagCom and doing an autoscan - which will result in a listing of all your available modules and their status. As I recall, the ABS system was module 04 - which you can then open and examine. Note the "long code" for the module (write it down very carefully) and also copy/paste it into a word file - make absolutely sure you don't accidentally change it and have several safe copies before proceeding.

I believe that long code is pretty unique to your car and suspect it's how the pump knows which options need to be activated - this is based on my assumption that the same pump is used in MT / DSG / and maybe even several Audi and/or 4 wheel drive applications (but could certainly be wrong about that - there may be several different pumps - suppose a Dealer parts guy could verify that for you). Also, you can compare the Part Number on your Ebay pump with the one in your car (although not sure how easy it is to read the label with pump still in the car). Make sure the used pump is well sealed (all ports closed off) to insure no dirt has gotten in it.

Once it's been installed in your car, you will eventually need to re-enter that long code into the new pump controller (using the same VagCom screen location).

You will also have to do the adaptations for the 4 sensors (at least that was the case for my car). I honestly don't remember the order in which the 4 sensors had to be set-up, but it seemed to be important to the ultimate successful completion. You will also need the "security code" for each one, which VagCom will provide - and must be entered to allow access to each sensor. When the adaptation is complete, your dash warning lights will go out, and the pump Long Code will be remembered.

Sorry about being vague here, but the adaptation was where I needed assistance and my mechanic buddy (who doesn't work on very many VW's) also was working in a somewhat "trial & error" mode, requiring several different attempts before we "got it right". I'm pretty sure I could do it again if necessary, but certainly not the first time, and not without a lot of cussing.

Assuming you get the pump installed and brake system properly bled - even if you fail to successfully complete all the VagCom programming / adaptations, you really won't be any worse off than you are now (assuming you carefully saved the original long code). Meaning - the car will be marginally driveable (with same problems you have now - no ABS / no Traction Control / Steering Assist problems, and all the crazy warning lights) so you could still search out a VW shop or even the Dealer to finish the programming work.

Perhaps start by finding a good local shop. That way you have a "back-up" plan if you can't complete all the VagCom coding. Just don't lose the "Long Code" from your original pump - have no idea how to re-create that if it gets lost.

Hope this helps a bit.

altezza3363

Ready to race!
^It helps a lot. Really do appreciate it. I just ordered a used pump with module together today, will see how things go next week. And yea I know a local shop so if things go bad I will just go there. Thanks again!!!

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
One last thing - AllData shows a procedure where the pump and controller can be replaced as separate items. I think that is an "old" fix method and would avoid trying it. Not only did it appear to be a "delicate" operation (many O rings, chance for dirt contamination, and hard to bleed air pockets), but from what I've read BOTH the Pump and attached Controller have known failure modes - one mechanical and the other electronic. So you want to replace the entire unit. When I last checked, Dealers were no longer selling the individual pieces, just a completely assembled pump/controller for crazy money (for a new one).

Anyway, you certainly don't want a used one from another 2009 (many problems), which lead to the suggested use of an upgraded one as used in a Mk VI. So far, mine (from a 2011) has worked perfectly.