Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
or... buy matching used ecu? tune that and swap them around?

Subie2013

Humble yourself
or... buy matching used ecu? tune that and swap them around?
Lol. A ecu that says it has 20 cranks but the car has 28000 miles on it when the engine blows? Sounds smart...

But the cars new, I have 3200 miles on it. 36k is when the warranty is over. At this rate, in a year the warranty will be up with how much driving I do. I think I can handle that.

mtlss

Ready to race!
So you don't want to modify your car at the risk of losing your warranty. Yet when your STi runs out of warranty after racking up the miles, you want to modify it...

I would say the latter is a risky game man. Unless you plan to build the engine.

STi aren't exactly difficult to blow.

In any case, the new STi might be out by the time you warranty expires! I would go for that.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
So you don't want to modify your car at the risk of losing your warranty. Yet when your STi runs out of warranty after racking up the miles, you want to modify it...

I would say the latter is a risky game man. Unless you plan to build the engine.

STi aren't exactly difficult to blow.

In any case, the new STi might be out by the time you warranty expires! I would go for that.
I'll rebuild the engine one day. I just don't have money to do a build right now. That's my problem. It's about to be my only car, so why take the chance of blowing it up and having sit here for 2-3 months while I save money to fix it. It's not worth it, right now at least. ;)

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Lol. A ecu that says it has 20 cranks but the car has 28000 miles on it when the engine blows? Sounds smart...

No you find a used ecu just short of warranty miles, tune the original with a base ots Cobb tune and do your best to not blow your motor before warranty. If you do you swap the used one in that roughly matches the cranks to miles.
I've heard of this gamble working in the past. As long as you don't blow your as soon as you tune it. Yes a car with about 30k miles showing it's been turned over 30 times will be fishy. However a motor showing 28k having 500 cranks isn't. Or hell tune it, if it blows try to find a ecu that will match. It's a calculated risk. It really comes down if you can/wanna wait 36k. Sounds like you don't mind waiting.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
No you find a used ecu just short of warranty miles, tune the original with a base ots Cobb tune and do your best to not blow your motor before warranty. If you do you swap the used one in that roughly matches the cranks to miles.
I've heard of this gamble working in the past. As long as you don't blow your as soon as you tune it. Yes a car with about 30k miles showing it's been turned over 30 times will be fishy. However a motor showing 28k having 500 cranks isn't. Or hell tune it, if it blows try to find a ecu that will match. It's a calculated risk. It really comes down if you can/wanna wait 36k. Sounds like you don't mind waiting.
I honestly will probably tune the car when I can afford an engine build. But I get what you were saying. Haha I was about to say dude that'll never work. But I get what you're saying!

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door

Ahhh, fraudulence my old friend.

I blew the motor in my 2005 Saab 92x Aero (rebadged WRX wagon)with a stealth Stage 2 at right around 30k miles and got it covered under warranty, no questions asked. I had a gutted stock dp, STI axleback (to legitimize and cover for the added noise of the gutted dp and tuning) and Cobb Stage 2 tuning. Aside from the axleback it looked 100% stock going in and out of the dealership for routine service (which was how I built a positive relationship with the dealership prior to blowing up my car). It's a very good idea to get to be a regular at your Subaru dealership so you've already established yourself as someone who's bringing them business (not just headaches) and to prove you kept up with dealership maintenance. Anyhoo,

After the engine popped I got my car towed to my house, unmarried the AP, swapped out my gutted dp for an externally identical stock non-gutted dp, then I left the dome light on to drain the battery and let the car sit for a few days with the battery unplugged once it was drained in the hopes that any ecu memory of past events (running high boost and going triple digits when the motor popped, etc.) would be wiped out. I left the dome light on to cover for why the battery was dead, since this is something the tow truck guy coulda done when fishing for paperwork etc.

After a few days I plugged the battery back in (still leaving the dome light in the "On" position, of course) and got my car towed to the dealership. I dressed like a total nerd (khakis and a button down) so they didn't think I was an informed (read: sketchball tuner) car enthusiast. Worked like a charm. Free motor and a loaner car for about a month.

Last edited:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I dressed like a total nerd (khakis and a button down) so they didn't think I was an informed (sketch ball) car enthusiast. Worked like a charm. Free motor and a loaner car for about a month.

:lol::lol::lol: I will seriously keep that in mind if something terrible ever happens to my car

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
:lol::lol::lol: I will seriously keep that in mind if something terrible ever happens to my car

The key is to dress like a you're in low-level management and avoid terminology that suggests you're knowledgeable enough to have actually done any tuning to your car. Be sure to be a confident, cocky manager so they don't walk all over you, though.

My favorite thing when I play the ignorant card is to reveal my knowledge incrimentally if a dealership starts any funny business. Startles the shit out of them when you start showing them you know exactly what you're talking about (as long as your mods are still kept secret, shhhhhh :thumbsup:).

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Haha classic. I only suggest this cuz I know a friend who did this. He sat on a stock wrx ecu till he passed his warranty then sold it off. He was fortunate to not need to use it tho. Then again I know a guy who popped a tuned ej20 and just took his exhaust and intake off and took it in. When they claimed it was tuned he said well I bought it cpo'd from this dealership and haven't touched it. He claimed they missed the tune and vf35(or whatever the sti turbo was). In the end he threatened to sue and they caved figuring legal fees would be more expensive than a sourced motor.

mtlss

Ready to race!
There is a clear solution to this boys...

Buy an evo x, they don't break ;), and they make more power.

You may flame now

boki

Ready to race!
^He he, I almost did a few years back but decided not to when Geico quoted me 4,600.00 for insurance for a year!!! I just said F that and got my GLI - love it!

mtlss

Ready to race!
^He he, I almost did a few years back but decided not to when Geico quoted me 4,600.00 for insurance for a year!!! I just said F that and got my GLI - love it!

That's absolutely Crazy. I live in Montreal, Canada. With full coverage I pay $1560 a year.

But the starting price of evolutions (base with no features) here is 43k and our dollar is on par with yours...