GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'13 STI vs '07 GTI

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
My other option was to go cheap and get the autotech hpfp since the same place with the APR pumps sells them. I think they're $350 installed - but I know the important part of that is the clean installation.. Think I'll be okay on S2+ with a stock IC?

I wouldn't cheap out on the fuel pump. Maybe find a used stock pump and get it rebuilt by APR, which'll end up costing about $750 total if you hold on to your own stock pump as a spare. APR's sale is on now, incidentally.

My S2+ setup definitely benefited from an IC upgrade, especially in terms of repeatable power, much better throttle response, much more power than before in summer heat, etc. You may not make a ton of power on the dyno, but you *will* make power over the stock IC in traffic or on a raging hot day, or after a few minutes of driving like an asshole.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
IMO. Unless you swap turbos, the s2+ vs s2 isn't enough for the money. I vote coils.

Sent from my iPhone

Well, if you're planning on going with a KO4, FT23, or BT but are still saving towards that, an upgraded HPFP is needed anyhow. Why not upgrade the HPFP if you've got that money and go Stg 2+ until you go with a bigger turbo?

That's how some of us go about it.

Now myself, I went from stock to Stg 2 (had downpipe for 5k with stock tune) and had Stg 2 all the way until I went KO4 at 105k.

So I couldn't tell you what Stg 2+ was all about on the stock turbo.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I wouldn't cheap out on the fuel pump. Maybe find a used stock pump and get it rebuilt by APR, which'll end up costing about $750 total if you hold on to your own stock pump as a spare. APR's sale is on now, incidentally.

My S2+ setup definitely benefited from an IC upgrade, especially in terms of repeatable power, much better throttle response, much more power than before in summer heat, etc. You may not make a ton of power on the dyno, but you *will* make power over the stock IC in traffic or on a raging hot day, or after a few minutes of driving like an asshole.

This. I did my KO4 this time last year (almost to the day) and I got APR's HPFP with the sale pricing. The fact that they test it and rebuild it in a clean environment alone is worth the extra money. And I am not a fan boy by any means.

And to the second part, yes! When I did the S3 IC with the stock turbo, I couldn't believe the difference. The S3 IC made a large difference on "just" Stg 2 at the time. A month or so later, I bought a BSH TB pipe for $80. I thought, "For $80, what the hell." I couldn't believe the difference it made. It was at least as noticeable of a difference as the IC. No more of that "restricted" torque midrange. Now it's a full surge of torque midrange.

Fast forward to today, and I need another IC upgrade. The S3 IC may be okay at 265hp, but not at 330 crank or whatever my car makes. Somewhere along the lines of 280-290whp on a Mustang dyno from what I've seen. My clutch also happens to slip (121k on original clutch) so I haven't been able to dyno it.:frown:

Anyhow, enough rambling.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla

This is what i was getting at with my first post on the matter.

Think i paid 100-150 for a working used hpfp, that allowed me to flip the apr rebuild after i was done with it and recover most of the money spent.

Though you did say canada bones you on taxes and all that, so you may not end up in the same spot.

GTIIII

WATRUDOIN
Just saw this. I'm stage 2 and my buddy had a stage 2 wrx. We ran twice when he had it. I beat him once and the second time we stopped at about 100 and we were neck and neck. Not bad at all. The first i stopped at 70 and i had him at 1.5-2 car lengths.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Just saw this. I'm stage 2 and my buddy had a stage 2 wrx. We ran twice when he had it. I beat him once and the second time we stopped at about 100 and we were neck and neck. Not bad at all. The first i stopped at 70 and i had him at 1.5-2 car lengths.
Uh, DSG?

GTIIII

WATRUDOIN
Yeahhh. Still makes me happy though knowing my GTI beat a Subbie. I still brag about it. Get's peoples attention. Ahaha.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Great feeling right? Ahha.

I imagine it's exactly the same feeling a Mustang guy gets when he slaps down a Camaro, or a Red Sox player beans a Yankee pretty boy in the mouth with a well-placed pitch.