GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'13 STI vs '07 GTI

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Please keep posting once you do all that. I really love to hear from "the opposition" here on the VS. board, since it's a great way to keep abreast of what's going on in other car communities and what kind of potential non-GTIs have once they're tuned. I hate the fact that there are a handful of guys that jump all over those sorts of posts, but I, for one, find them to be some of the most informative and interesting threads on here. I want to know what I'm up against when I face off against other modded cars.

Definitely agree.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
This thread is making me even more undecided about either getting a set of slightly used coils (koni), or for the same money, a rebuilt APR pump.. Fuck. Cool story bro

Car(s)
Subaru
This thread is making me even more undecided about either getting a set of slightly used coils (koni), or for the same money, a rebuilt APR pump.. Fuck. Cool story bro

IMO. Unless you swap turbos, the s2+ vs s2 isn't enough for the money. I vote coils.

Sent from my iPhone

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
IMO. Unless you swap turbos, the s2+ vs s2 isn't enough for the money. I vote coils.

Sent from my iPhone

To me the 2+ was a nice difference. Not all out night and day at top end. But it was a noticeable improvement in responsiveness and powerband that I never regretted it.

That and apr rebuilds hold value fantasticly.

Find a cheap core , rebuild , sell for very little loss down the road.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Depends on what you want man. You probably won't ever beat an STI if its a good driver. Obviously from a stop you aren't going to win. But it's always nice to keep up or beat cars that normally would beat you.

Sent from my iPhone

Meh, depends on the person. Every little bit counts. But I'd probably get coils too if they're nice.

Tutti57

Ready to race!
I vote coils unless you are planning on going farther with the engine. I feel like the difference you will get with coils would be much greater than the pump alone.

Or get a cheaper pump and try to do both. I wouldn't be able to swing the apr one. Ever.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I vote coils unless you are planning on going farther with the engine. I feel like the difference you will get with coils would be much greater than the pump alone.

Or get a cheaper pump and try to do both. I wouldn't be able to swing the apr one. Ever.

A friend of mine is selling her ST's from her MK6 - she's only put a couple thousand km's on it and she bought them new, and she agreed to take $600 cash.

There is a shop near my house that has 5 or 6 rebuild's in stock, and they're 799+13% taxes - AND I have to give them my stock pump.. Keep in mind I'm in Canada and the shipping/taxes/duty is insane so, if I were to send my stock pump out to APR myself it would still be quite a bit of cash.. But, anyways, lets stick to this threads topic. I'm probably just going to go with the coils since I haven't gotten any fuel cuts yet - just misfires from my shitty coil packs and poorly gapped plugs :thumbsup:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Depends on the car, but mine hugely benefited from the APR pump. The power bump adding the upgraded HPFP and going from Stage 2 to 2+ made a bigger difference than going from Stage 1 to Stage 2. I was getting fuel cuts though. If your car already feels healthy and pulls cleanly at Stage 2, your power improvement going to Stage 2+ might be less pronounced.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Depends on the car, but mine hugely benefited from the APR pump. The power bump adding the upgraded HPFP and going from Stage 2 to 2+ made a bigger difference than going from Stage 1 to Stage 2. I was getting fuel cuts though. If your car already feels healthy and pulls cleanly at Stage 2, your power improvement going to Stage 2+ might be less pronounced.

It made a huge difference compared to stage 1 to 2 not in power, but in where that power is and how it's delivered, correct? I wouldn't know, I've never even been in a S2+ GTI but this is just what I've heard. But yeah I don't get fuel cuts yet - WOT in high RPM's my car sputters and shit, but never does the car completely "die", and "revive" a few moments later. I'm thinking I'll need to get some NGK plugs, gap them to 0.028, and see what happens.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
^ plugs probably aren't your issue. Sounds like your car is maxing out its ability to supply fuel. I got more punch throughout the rev range with the new pump. All that extra fuel even made it sound much better. It went from sounding raspy and thin at WOT to having a deep bellow. God was it ever an expensive, painful purchase, but it was worth every penny the moment I merged onto the highway for the first time. I felt a huge difference even before I changed to the 2+ tune.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
^ plugs probably aren't your issue. Sounds like your car is maxing out its ability to supply fuel. I got more punch throughout the rev range with the new pump. All that extra fuel even made it sound much better. It went from sounding raspy and thin at WOT to having a deep bellow. God was it ever an expensive, painful purchase, but it was worth every penny the moment I merged onto the highway for the first time. I felt a huge difference even before I changed to the 2+ tune.

Haha dude, you're making this too difficult for me :mad0259:. After I get either coils or a pump, I wont be touching the car until the summer is over.. Also, I may need an intercooler (thinking S3) if I get the pump

Edit: Coils now, fuel pump when the weather starts to get cold (Oct-Nov) S3/R IC when the weather starts to warm up again.. That's the plan.. I should take the R IC out of my sig, I never installed it and now its gone lol

Car(s)
Subaru
im not saying the pump is a bad idea, but i think its not as much of a difference as some people think. it is a big difference when you race say a s2 vs a s2+ though. for example, i raced a mustang gt on s2 tune and barely passed him with fuel cuts all the way around him, but the next week i got the pump and tune and raced him again and i put a few cars on him. also, the low end torque is a lot of fun. but... its not a huge difference and i think coils will at least look good and will feel like a bigger improvement than the pump. if i didnt drop my stock pump and broke the n276 sensor, id prolly sell my apr pump tbh.

but back on topic... i didnt mean to side track op... sorry

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
im not saying the pump is a bad idea, but i think its not as much of a difference as some people think. it is a big difference when you race say a s2 vs a s2+ though. for example, i raced a mustang gt on s2 tune and barely passed him with fuel cuts all the way around him, but the next week i got the pump and tune and raced him again and i put a few cars on him. also, the low end torque is a lot of fun. but... its not a huge difference and i think coils will at least look good and will feel like a bigger improvement than the pump. if i didnt drop my stock pump and broke the n276 sensor, id prolly sell my apr pump tbh.

but back on topic... i didnt mean to side track op... sorry

My other option was to go cheap and get the autotech hpfp since the same place with the APR pumps sells them. I think they're $350 installed - but I know the important part of that is the clean installation.. Think I'll be okay on S2+ with a stock IC?

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
I don't know where the auto tech pumps were at in terms of reliability, but i had tried the kmd rebuild before the apr.

It was an awful experience which was only rectified by the fact that the pumps were so awful kmd was warrantying them with 0 hassles. The person who bought the new pump kmd sent me also warrantied it and sold it, i also ended up with an automated email later on down the road when whoever bought the pump from that person was warrantying it.

From what i remember reading the orings on a used pump cause issues when rebuilding.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I don't know where the auto tech pumps were at in terms of reliability, but i had tried the kmd rebuild before the apr.

It was an awful experience which was only rectified by the fact that the pumps were so awful kmd was warrantying them with 0 hassles. The person who bought the new pump kmd sent me also warrantied it and sold it, i also ended up with an automated email later on down the road when whoever bought the pump from that person was warrantying it.

From what i remember reading the orings on a used pump cause issues when rebuilding.

Yeah, I've heard so many stories. Some good, some bad, some fantastic some absolutely horrible.