GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by mike1947

1. mike1947

Check out this Ferrari

http://fr.truveo.com/Claude-Lelouch-Ferrari-140mph-through-Paris/id/3115807160
  2. mike1947

New German Grille Emblem

Here is my latest try at mounting a German grille emblem (German Auto Club) over the VW emblem. Have also included photos of view over Coast toward Morro Rock.
  3. mike1947

Help! windshield wipers quit working!

Damn, out of nowhere, with no warning, my (front) windshield wipers stopped working just as it started raining. They had worked when I first started up this morning, but stopped after I picked up a friend. I searched everywhere here and on vortex and just a general search on Google...
  4. mike1947

Installed FK Badgless Grille on my UG

I don't know well this looks; it is a lot different from the Jetta bling I had before. I only put it on yesterday, and although the notch bothers me, the look is starting to grow on me. What do you think?
  5. mike1947

AC System replaced and MPG has gone up!

A couple weeks ago my AC compressor blew up and GTI stopped dead. I then had entire AC system replaced (under warranty) and now my MPG has gone up a lot. I used to get only 25 MPG on the Highway and am now getting 30 MPG. What's up?
  6. mike1947

My GTI broke down tonight; Think its the starter.

I was driving home from work tonight and after I pulled off to drop off my carpool mate there was a strange noise like the starter motor breaking. After I stopped it wouldn't start again. It seemed like the battery was dead. I gave up after a while and called and called VW roadside assistance...
  7. mike1947

Two doors or Four?

Forget it; I just saw the poll.
  8. mike1947

UG, Eibach Pro-kit and R-Type grilles

Here is my 2006 UG, lowered with Eibach pro-kit, Jetta upper and lower center grilles, and R-type fog grilles.
  9. mike1947

Finally got Eibach Pro-Kit springs installed

I don't have pictures yet cause the battery in my camera just went dead, but wanted to say how pleased I am with the new series of Eibach Pro-kit. I had them installed at my favorite tire shop for $350 including alignment. I kept the stock shocks as the GTI has only 20,000 miles. The ride...
  10. mike1947

Got new Eibach Pro-Kit springs

I just received what the new updated series of Eibach pro-Kit springs from Tire Rack. I hope they have fixed the problems identified by some here. The serial numbers for the fronts are: 231270 and the rears are: 230702. Other than installing them with the Eibach logo in the upright position...
  11. mike1947

Does 6MT GTI need a Shift Gate?

This is not a cosmetic issue; I think it is a technical issue related to the drivetrain. It seems to me that the GTI (6mt) could benefit from having a Shift Gate like one of the attached photos. I sent DieselGeek a message about this idea a little while back suggesting they manufacture it, and...
  12. mike1947

Terrific & detailed comparison of suspension types

There is an excellent comparison of various spring, strut and sway bar combinations on the Australian site here: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47137&highlight=comparison It includes small video clips showing how the various combinations work.:23:
  13. mike1947

discovered protective covering on foot rest not removed

I just took my 2006 GTI into the dealer to have a couple things looked at and asked the service tech to take a look at the foot rest (dead pedal) because I thought it looked odd because it wasn't stainless like the other pedals. I was going to buy a new one and wanted to see how to replace it...
  14. mike1947

I just bought an 06 GTI to replace the one I lost

I tried hard to justify getting an 08 but after much careful thought got a nice 06 with only 16,000 miles and 6MT for 18,000 plus tax and license. I really checked it out carefully: took it to my shop person at the local VW/Mercedes dealer for a mechanical check and took it to a body shop to...
  15. mike1947

Replace my GTI with 08 Passat Turbo Wagon?

I'm going nutz trying to figure out what to get to replace my recently totaled 2006 GTI, and have looked at all kinds of vehicles. I drove the newly released Jetta Wolfsburg Edition today and think its cheap and crappy. Saw the Rabbit and sort of like it, but its only got 150HP. But, then I...