GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI broke down tonight; Think its the starter.

mike1947

Old Man
I was driving home from work tonight and after I pulled off to drop off my carpool mate there was a strange noise like the starter motor breaking. After I stopped it wouldn't start again. It seemed like the battery was dead. I gave up after a while and called and called VW roadside assistance; they were very helpful and it will be towed to my dealership in the morning. My GTI only has 23,000 miles and I've done no mods. Anybody had a similar experience?:mad0259:

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
it's a small chance that your batter isnt holding charge and could be a bad one because i had the same problem as well when i had my mk IV gti and only had 5k miles. But if your cluster still lights up then your battery should still be good, and if it's showing the battery icon on the cluster ( i got the same thing too one time) when i lost vacuum and the engine wouldnt turn. Check your pcv pipe to see if it's in good condition and plugged in. But it's worth a try to check out.

mike1947

Old Man
GTI broke down; it was the AC compressor!

First off, I am so thankful for this group because I was able to tell my dealership that my GTI probably had a bad AC compressor. Anyway, that was exactly what it was; it actually blew up. They will of course have to order parts, but at least I can take it home. Man am I relieved!:happyanim: