GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Fast: A Love Story

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
So, it appears that a bent rod is the culprit for the engine failure and the glorious sized hole. Nice crack(s) in the associated piston as well. Amazingly enough, the head looks good. I'll get a machine shop to take a look at it first (have a spare used one if need be) before using it.

The K04 is also unscathed (not in boost when damage occurred) so I'll end up selling it, along with the injectors and DV kit. The turbo blanket seemed to really save the car and absorbed the majority of the fire (a fire extinguisher didn't hurt either) so the only true damage / melt was to the engine harness. All other hoses and connections are solid.

Now it's time to discuss with Arnold at Pagparts and a few others on all of the engine specifics prior to ordering the engine parts. I'll be ordering the transmission components sometime next week and away we go.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My car currently looks like a skeleton, creepy...

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,752

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Man I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see/hear this thing when you're done. So glad you are sticking with it and taking it to the next step. If all goes according to plan we will start our turbo/motor build this winter. Want to get one good season out of it as she sits before we go full retard in the power department.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
More carnage shots on engine teardown...

Attachments

• IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 216

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
So if you couldn't tell by the pictures, I double windowed the block, a hole on each side. Anyways, picked up the core block and I need to tear it down and send it to the machine shop. The head is already at the machine shop, getting inspected to ensure that it will work. Parts ordering will begin soon, this build might actually happen.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So if you couldn't tell by the pictures, I double windowed the block, a hole on each side. Anyways, picked up the core block and I need to tear it down and send it to the machine shop. The head is already at the machine shop, getting inspected to ensure that it will work. Parts ordering will begin soon, this build might actually happen.

Lol, I've had literally all of my engine internals sitting in boxes for like 2-3 years. For one reason or another it gets put on hold everytime I gear up to do it. So excited to see you finally get this build really going!!

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Of course progress is going slow, but I've waited this long so I can be patient. The spare short block is yet to be torn down (waiting on a new engine stand), but ordered a baffled oil pan, 1.8t pump conversion, oil cooler and ferrea valve retainers, spring and spring seats.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Update:

My mechanic has a torque plate being fabricated and hope to have it in 3-4wks max. IE wants 400$, he contacted a engine builder/machinist and he can make one for 275$. Once the torque plate comes in he can use the machine shops ring filer and gap the rings. The rotating assembly(crank, pistons, and rods) is being balanced and the journals are being polished. Block is hot tanked .the deck will be resurfaced. He got the specs from Mahle motorsport for boring the block. The torque plate is the last piece of the bottom end needed for machining. Still have to order the ARP main bolt kit and head bolt kit/head gasket.

The turbo setup is done, along with, injectors, valvetrain, bottom end, oil cooler, oil filter housing adapter, and associated parts are accounted for.

The few remaining items left to buy are a new wiring harness, the meth injection setup (torquebyte), timing belt kit, plugs, some cooling hoses and the repair kit for the axle boot. There are going to be a few small items in the engine I'm probably overlooking but we basically have the full longblock, turbo kit, fueling, and intercooler and piping covered.

Once I get the block back from the machine shop I think it will take two to three weeks to prep and assemble the motor, install the clutch and trans on the motor and then start adding on the turbo kit, intake manifold(injectors). AT that point I will hopefully have all the rest of the pieces and we can start on the installation of the motor into the car. Once its in the car we just need to nail down the final little details to get the car running.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
The main concern for the RS3 that there is no enough researches and feedback about it!
When I contacted VAG FUELING SOLUTIONS they said they didn't test it in big setups yet but they expected that it would achieve 600hp!
How you can expect something you didn't test!

I found the below injectors long time ago and it has been tested by them up to 700hp+
https://www.tij-power.com/product_info.php?products_id=493352

As per Tij-power, it is Conti Injectors; but there is also concern about it that the injectors mount should be a little bigger.
They confirmed that it's very simple and easy without any leakage but I don't think I will be the first one to try.

Anyway, just tried to share all what I have.