GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wipers failed. Where's that fuse?

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Wiper fuse NOT F31? Check F19! Now what amperage fuse goes there?

Edit: Found it. It's F19, which the manual says is for the radio. See post #15 in this thread. Now what fuse rating is correct?

Yesterday I started the car, went to turn on the windshield wipers, and nothing happened. Then it acted weird, running the rear wiper when I tried to use the front washer squirt, then finally everything behaved normally except the front wipers still wouldn't wipe (but the squirter squirts and the rear wiper only runs when I've selected it to run).

The manual says F31 is the fuse I need to check:

but it does not show where F31 is, and I can't find F31.

The first thing I should check is the fuse, but where the fsck is it?

I might just drive my truck when it rains and have it fixed when I bring it in for the 5000 mile service.

Last edited:

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
If you click on the photo of the manual, it's linked to a high-res photo where it's very readable.

All three normal 30s and the two huge 30s are good. Good idea on that, before I posted I didn't check if all of them were good, I just checked what their position/label was.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Your links take me to a 404 error. Problem is that from where I'm sitting the Rabbit does not have a 31 fuse it's a GTI fuse. (got it working on my end)

Does the rabbit also have a fuse box on the outer dash on the drivers side? Open the door and remove the panel on the side if your car has one and lemme know what you see.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Yup, have that box too. The manual doesn't list a front wiper fuse in there, but it does list a rear wiper fuse. I checked the only 30 amp fuse in that box, it's good.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Well, I checked every fuse in both fuse boxes, there's not a single blown fuse.

Maybe my next step is to fill every empty space in the fusebox and see if I somehow accidentally pulled the wiper fuse...but wouldn't the squirter be on the same fuse as the wipers?

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Thanks, that's way more complete than the manual. Unfortunately, it doesn't match my fusebox. :(

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
I know fuses are easy but this should be one of those things that would be hard to void out of your waranty

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Okay, I finally got a chance to spend a few minutes trying fuses. It was indeed a fuse, I must have accidentally removed it while doing another project.

It's F19, the one that the manual says is for the radio. I can tell you for sure that the radio continued to work even when the fuse was removed; I can drive without wipers, but I sure can't drive without the radio!

Well, at least F19 is exactly where the manual says that F19 should be.

Now, considering that the manual was way off on the location, my next question is: What's the appropriate fuse to put there? 5 amps blows before I can do a single wipe. 7.5 works fine even with the wipers on full speed but I suspect it will blow after extended use. I guess I'll just wait until it blows, go to 10 amps, wait until that blows, go to 15...