GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MKV Seat Disassemble

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Here is a DIY on how to take apart the MKV Seats to install new seats covers or repair lumbar support and other parts to the seats.

I dont have pix of the first part of the disassemble but will post them later.

First thing is to remove the seats from the car by unscrewing the 4 bolts that hold the frame rails to the car frame and unconnect all Vag connection to the seat.

Once u have the seat out i recommend that u work on a padded or carpet area so u dont damage the seat.

Start by turning the seat on its back and disconnect all wire connections under the seat, like the lumbar support, heated seat pads, Airbag, and seats belt.

Next u need to turn the seats on its side with the roller knob facing up. U need to pry out the roller knob off with a trim tool and be very careful that u dont brake the clips on the back of the roller knob. If u do dont worry u can use super glue to fix it.

Now u nee to remove the height adjustment by pulling it up all the way so u can access the hole on the side of the handle to remove it. Look on the back of the handle while holding it up and use a flat head screw driver to push donw the metal clip and at the same time pull it straight out and it will come off. Its like pulling off the parking brake handle if u have ever done that before. The will be a metal clip left behind once the handle come off and u need to take this off as well.

Now that u have these parts off now u need to take off these black looking rivets that are right behind the roller knob and near the back of this side panel. I had to come behind the plastic rivet with a flat head and push it out from behind it. In the middle of the rivet u can push on it and it will make it pop out or u can use wire clippers and cut it out cause its plastic and it will fall off. Up to u im sure they are really cheap.

Now u can take off the whole side panel of the seat and u will need to make sure how u take it off and be very careful so u dont brake it. Pay attention on how u remove it cause its a bitch to put back on. U will need to take it off the metal roller knob frame and then work ur way down to the height handle and keep moving to the right away from the back of the seats. Once u get that panel off now u can take off the height adjustment if needed.

Next flip over the seat to its other side so u can access to the other side panel. Now u can remove the seat belt if needed. There is a few screws that is holding the panel on to the seat frame. Make sure u remove all parts on this side holding the panel on.

Now that u have all the plastic bits off the sides of the seat, now u can remove these 2 M6 bolts that are on both sides of the seat. These bolts are holding the top to the bottom and are torxed down to like 30ftlbs. These bolts are called M6 or 12 point 6mm bolts. Flip the seats on both sides to gain access to them, there are 4 total, 2 on both sides.

Once u remove these bolts the seat will fall apart and will be in 2 pieces. U will need to route the wire through the bottom seat to the top, wires go to lumbar, heat pad, and airbag.

Next if u need access to the Lumbar support, Airbag, or heat pads u will need to follow these steps.

Flip the top part of the seat face down and look at the bottom of the seat. U will see where the seats covers come together and start at the right end and unsplit the seat covers. They come together by interlocking the like ziplock bags. Get ur fingers in there and pull apart and unsplit then all the way across.

Next u can do the same thing allong the back of the seat where the back pockets are on the back of the seat. These also splice together like the bottom of the seat. Now that u got it open there are 2 clips on both sides of the seat pocket flap, all u need to do with these clips is to put a trim tool under it and pull and slide it back away from the frame rail its clip to.

Now u can flip the back seat flap over to get access to the Lumbar support. There is a few padding in there but it can be removed by unclipping the to clips at the top of the flap. If u look into the seat u can see that the Lumbar motors are on both sides of the seat. I have not tried to see how it all works while having the seat wide open but i might do that tomorrow. Here is a pic of the motor, there is one on each side and have 2 wires going to them.

If anybody has any problems with there Lumbar Support and wants to fix it u can look at my pix and see what parts dont match up or are not working and broke. There are allot of parts when it comes to the Lumbar support in side of the seat, allot more than i thought there where going to be. I have not messed with or tried to replace one cause all mine work as of right now.

I dont have all the pix up yet in the first part of the DIY but i will get them up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Ok i think its all on there and the pix are all loaded, If i have missed any thing please let me know or if u need to see any other pix or other steps let me know

Thank u for not posting today, no u can say what ever u want.LOL

Its nice to see my seat in 2 pieces.LOL

Here are a few more pix of the seat

Enjoy, Now u can rip ur seat apart:happyanim::cry::clap:

Last edited:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
TTT, say some thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

More pix

Attachments

• IMG_3581.jpg
    IMG_3581.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 25,220
  • IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 27,096
  • IMG_3577.jpg
    IMG_3577.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 25,304
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 25,126
  • IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 24,859
  • IMG_3694.jpg
    IMG_3694.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 26,724
Last edited:

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Phenomenal!! Thank you soo much!! Looking at your pictures, it seems possible to remove the seat backing "panel" while the seat is still in the car? Do you think this is doable? This is really only helpful in instances where the lumbar support doesnt need to be replaced, but just jury rigged.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Phenomenal!! Thank you soo much!! Looking at your pictures, it seems possible to remove the seat backing "panel" while the seat is still in the car? Do you think this is doable? This is really only helpful in instances where the lumbar support doesnt need to be replaced, but just jury rigged.

YES very doable if u only need to just rig or replace small parts and dont need the whole seat out of the car. As long as u can lean the whole seat forward and get access to the under side of the back rest of the seat and get into the back of the seat to replace parts or just to see whats wrong

Just follow these steps in the pix............
IMG_4322.jpg
IMG_4323.jpg
IMG_4324.jpg
IMG_4326.jpg
IMG_4327.jpg
IMG_4328.jpg
IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4330.jpg

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed

What is this little lever on the right for?

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238

What is this little lever on the right for?

I believe its for the Height adjustment bar for the seat!!!!

I hate this parts of the seat,IMO. Im sure we all have felt it before, when we ride for long distances and u start to feel a hard giant bar hitting the small of ur back and the top of ur ass bone.

This bar runs across the entire length of the seat where the rod is towards the back of the bottom seat. If u press hard enough on the back part of the bottom seat u will feel this 1" bar, u can miss it its steel!!!!!!

As u know already, here are some more pix to show u!!!!!

IMG_4395.jpg
IMG_4396.jpg
IMG_4398.jpg

Last edited:

sirsycott

Vagcom In OC = Me
this might be a good time for me to take apart my lumbar also, it has this clicking noise, and i can still hear the motor running, like it's off track or un aligned,

good stuff!

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Good job man, i hope this will help with ur delima with the dreaded lumbar support

LMK if u need any help

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
bump for an awesome thread that helped me tons this past weekend.

I managed to diagnose that my lumbar support was just fried, one of the motors was shot so I opted for a full seat replacement. I didnt realize how much my stock seats had sagged until I put the new ones in.

Only complaint is that the leather quality changed from 2006 to the 2008 set I picked up, so next up is a straight leather cover swap to the new foam.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
bump for an awesome thread that helped me tons this past weekend.

I managed to diagnose that my lumbar support was just fried, one of the motors was shot so I opted for a full seat replacement. I didnt realize how much my stock seats had sagged until I put the new ones in.

Only complaint is that the leather quality changed from 2006 to the 2008 set I picked up, so next up is a straight leather cover swap to the new foam.

Changing the leather covers is pretty easy and should take u a couple of hrs..LOL

GL

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
nice. I have something I can follow to switch the airbags from my stock rabbit seats to my GTI leathers and get rid of the airbag light :thumbsup:

swapping Side Airbags.......WOW....That sounds like fun

Be careful though:thumbsup: