GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL P0171 Please help

B6 Passat

Ready to race!
Thank you for your replies but I replaced the brake booster hoses already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you replace both of them?

There's one that goes from the vacuum pump to the flange on the side of the cylinder head and from the flange back to the brake booster.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
It's honestly probably worth forking out the money to get a smoke test done. If that doesn't show anything, it eliminates a lot of potential issues.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
I honestly haven't done one; I had a local shop do it as I wasn't interested in investing in the equipment. I believe they said they just hooked right up to the intake hose.

I'm sure someone else here, that's actually done it, will be able to chime in and give you a better idea.

Finder

Ready to race!
I made an adapter and fitted mine right on the air intake pipe. So I was pumping smoke pre MAF.

Leog1234567890

I found the problem it actually was a vacuum leak in a hose located under the master cylinder by the firewall

tedted

was the crack where it connects on that brake booster hose? i just glanced at mine and it looks intact but ill have to wait until my car cools off before i pull the intake and thoroughly inspect it.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Last edited:

tedted

to inspect it, can i just pull it off the brake booster? is their enough flex or should I remove it with the attached nipple portion that it looks like it connects to?

Leog1234567890

was the crack where it connects on that brake booster hose? i just glanced at mine and it looks intact but ill have to wait until my car cools off before i pull the intake and thoroughly inspect it.

Both ends of the hose were cracked and they easily slid off when I grabbed it