GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL P0171 Please help

Leog1234567890

My gti cel came on for a P0171 system to lean bank 1 I already checked for air leaks cleaned the maf sensor car runs fine doesn't idle funny no unusual noises under the hood can anyone help me diagnose the problem thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfmb

Ready to race!
could be a vacuum leak. the bundle of vac lines that meet up under the hpfp tend to crack. had to replace mine, the car seemingly ran fine but my boost gauge was showing ~5inHg less than normal at idle

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Check the brake booster hoses to vacuum pump. Plastic tubing cracks splits open.

tedted

I have the same exact problem, smoke test turned nothing up, hoses have been replaced, my idle is a perfect -22hg. The local shop says its the first 02 sensor(yet I dont throw a code for it) and I dont want to spend $200 to replace it if it turns out not to be it.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought I fixed this problem replacing the MAF sensor gasket a while back, the CEL recently came back on. I've had the PCV, crankcase breather valve, first O2 sensor, and dipstick tube seal all replaced, in addition to switching back to an OEM intake. Shops have done smoke tests, checked all of the fuel delivery components, etc. and still can't figure it out. I've had my car into the shop four times, (two different shops that specialize in European), to try and get this fixed and the light is still coming back on. It's ridiculous.

It's like they're just rolling the dice and hoping something sticks. I've been trying to avoid going to the dealership and paying their prices, but I've probably paid well over that by now.

Leog1234567890

I thought I fixed this problem replacing the MAF sensor gasket a while back, the CEL recently came back on. I've had the PCV, crankcase breather valve, first O2 sensor, and dipstick tube seal all replaced, in addition to switching back to an OEM intake. Shops have done smoke tests, checked all of the fuel delivery components, etc. and still can't figure it out. I've had my car into the shop four times, (two different shops that specialize in European), to try and get this fixed and the light is still coming back on. It's ridiculous.

It's like they're just rolling the dice and hoping something sticks. I've been trying to avoid going to the dealership and paying their prices, but I've probably paid well over that by now.

Which O2 sensor did you replace

surfmb

Ready to race!
I don't have a boost gauge

its definitely a useful tool for diagnosing problems, helps rule out vacuum/boost leaks. Yours definitely sounds like it isn't the same problem I had as you already fixed that part. Welcome to vw's always chasing down one problem or another. Not sure if it's the best call or if it would even help, but have you tried clearing the code to see if it comes back? could just be some weird vw voodoo going on

Leog1234567890

its definitely a useful tool for diagnosing problems, helps rule out vacuum/boost leaks. Yours definitely sounds like it isn't the same problem I had as you already fixed that part. Welcome to vw's always chasing down one problem or another. Not sure if it's the best call or if it would even help, but have you tried clearing the code to see if it comes back? could just be some weird vw voodoo going on

Yes I already cleared the code and it came back I just checked the vacuum lines and no cracks and I checked the pvc valve and it is working fine