GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best snow tire

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
XLs are required for the .:R due to the extra weight. The ride will be kind of harsh (like a really low profile would be) on a GTI but they'll do the job well.

anonymity

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up the Firestones... I have heard good things from a friend who has trusted them on his e30 for the last 10 years up in NH.

wizzo

Ready to race!
No snow in dubai buddy :) cant help u here! :D

cjw245

Passed Driver's Ed
..I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on these, except I now have another contender:

Continental Extreme Winter Contact - Studless Ice & Snow - $90/ea

Anybody know anything about these tires? I think they compare favorably to the Blizzak WS-60's and Dunlop Graptastics.

However they are XL load range rated. The rack throws a warning when you go to order claiming they will be harsher than stock. Can anybody comment on that? Is it real bad?

'Cause the price is right.

I just recieved these last night. I won't know how they are until first snow fall obviously. But they are pretty meaty and look and feel a lot like my old blizzaks that I have on my ford.

They were 398 shipped with a 50 dollar gift card rebate thing.

absence

___liminal
I just ordered the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on 16 steelies from TireRack. Ran my Conti all-seasons last year, and they could barely get me out of a puddle. We do not get a lot of snow here [though they are saying this year could be a bad one], but I drive a few hours north quite often so need something that will deal better with left over slush and crap, as well as the occasional non-plowed driveway and lazily plowed NYC streets.

Seems like these are the perfect balance between snow handling [vs. studless] and performance. Also looking forward to the 16" diameter with less tire to push through the snow. Seems like cheap driving insurance o me, and there is no way i am running the Dunlop Z1's in any kind of snow. Scary

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
I use Dunlop Wintersport 3d's and was plowing through the snow when the suv's were going into the the ditch. These things are rock solid and have gone through two winters and snow storms up to a foot with no issues.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
They were 398 shipped with a 50 dollar gift card rebate thing.

Yeah, the $50 card thing is what got me looking that way. The 'T' speed rating looks nice too.

So apparently Consumer Reports just did a tire-test. They rated the Michelins best in several catagories, but their snow tires are pricey. Their 2nd place snow-tire pick was apparently the General Tire Altimax Arctic ($78 at the rack). Hmm..

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I run the Dunlops in 225/45/17... I am lowered and NEVER got stuck last year in our 200 inches of annual snowfall.

That Altimax you mention is a beast of a snow tire... Buddy runs em on his WRX... I went with Dunlop because I wanted something that would handle more like an all-season tire when the roads were just wet or *gasp* maybe dry.

JohnJohnTurboTron

I have run the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 and it is a great tire with excellent tread wear. For the Gti I picked up a set of General Altimax Artic in 225-45-17 and was more them impressed with there performance and little to no tread wear. My wife will be putting a set on her MKVI GOLF.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Yes you can; not getting TPMS sensors with your new Tire Rack wheels?

Or are you just getting tires?

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I should learn to search.. Just in case the next guy is as lazy as I am:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13506
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1228951#post1229137

No, not getting sensors. Why spend the extra green if I don't have to? Planning to get the tires pre-mounted on VW take-off steelies. I was hoping to find some 16" alloys fer cheap on fleabay or craig's list, but haven't been able to beat the rack's $36/ea price. And having the new rubber pre-mounted is nice too. I hear the 'rack does a helluva job mounting and balancing.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I don't run TMPS in my summer OR winter wheels... I just have the light on, on my dash. I am tooooo lazy to vag-com it off.

You won't find new steel for cheaper than $36/pop. Just go with that.