GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best snow tire

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Now I know why all the kids here are 'rolling' their fenders.

utekineir

Banned
If they're paid for, run 'em.

hell they're essentially free, after taking the 2 dirty as fuck classix i got with them for an extra $50, cleaning them up to look like new and reselling for $200

mainly just wanted to know where they stood on the winter tire foodchain.

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
I've had Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on a Volvo V70R and now 3D's on my GTI. Both handled the winter mix I see in NY, no problem. They're relatively quiet for winter tires and also perform very well. I'd buy them again if I had to choose snows again.

mkvdubber

Ready to race!
Car(s)
335xi
Pirelli Winter carving ftw! Where I live, I've tried all of them!

dtox

Derh
Car(s)
2007 UG 4dr GTI
Blizzaks

Loved the blizzaks in CO. Getting up I-70 was no problem. Even got stuck in traffic when a few semis decided to skip chains and jack knifed on the freeway. Had to wind out way up from Silverthorne to the tunnel. Stop and start on compact snow and ice, no worries.

I ran Hankook Ice Bears on the Subaru WRX when I had that, and they worked well also.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Maybe I should have asked if anyone knows of a winter tire that sucks..

Sounds like non uber-performance, regular studdless ice and snow is where its at for my needs. Meaning the Blizzak WS-60 or Graspic or equivalent.

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
I run Michelin Aplin PA2's and they rule. I was plowing through a foot of fresh powder with an ice bottom last year with no problems what so ever. They are a little pricey though, about $175 each for 225/45/R17's. There is also the updated version called the Aplin PA3's which are better in every aspect for what i have heard and they are only a few bucks more per tire.

dogbite

Formula 1 addict
I like/use the Dunlop 3d's. I live in Seattle and though it doesn't get the weeks of accumulation of the east coast or midwest, when we get snow the city shuts fucking down! We have NO snow service here, and it usually snows, rains, then freezes and then does it all over again. IE lots of slippery ice and slush, then 2 hrs later pillowy white on top of it all. These tires perform well in all these situations and feel quiet and smooth on dry pavement too. I'll def get these again.

mattsaintg

Car(s)
GTI MKV
I run Dunlop wintersport 3D's here in Boston. I was out in the blizzard last year with no problems and all over during the snowy season. They perform great on dry roads too - obv not like a summer tire would but they are a great all around tire for commuting and rainy weather as well.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
..I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on these, except I now have another contender:

Continental Extreme Winter Contact - Studless Ice & Snow - $90/ea

Anybody know anything about these tires? I think they compare favorably to the Blizzak WS-60's and Dunlop Graptastics.

However they are XL load range rated. The rack throws a warning when you go to order claiming they will be harsher than stock. Can anybody comment on that? Is it real bad?

'Cause the price is right.