GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with MK5 to MK6 Steering Wheel Swap

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Mine is a Golf R MFSW directly out of a US Golf R, and I have a Golf R Shift knob/boot and E-Brake handle to match; but you gotta remember my car is a MK6 already and had a MFSW in it; so for me it was direct plug and play :D

But I do love the Golf R wheel :thumbsup:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Mine is a Golf R MFSW directly out of a US Golf R, and I have a Golf R Shift knob/boot and E-Brake handle to match; but you gotta remember my car is a MK6 already and had a MFSW in it; so for me it was direct plug and play :D

But I do love the Golf R wheel :thumbsup:

NICE :thumbsup:

Looks like our interior looks likes twins since we have the same mods, I love the feel of the MK6 leather on those parts. To me the leather feels allot softer or is that just my imagination?!?!

Well looks like u save 150$ on a SW control module since u have the MK6 platform. I have to buy 2 of these at 150$ each cuz i bought the wrong one at first and now the other wrong SW module is sitting in a draw some where collecting dust.

I also had to change my CC stalk Pin out wires around to get the Cruise Control to work also.

Good to here from u and nice to see that u are enjoying that same mods a i am!!!!!

dextersl

Hey, Stylist07, great thread.

I bought a MK5 DTM MFSW a while back for my 09 JSW TDI and I am just now getting around to installing it. But before I commit to the MK5 MFSW install I have a question for you in regards to the MK6 MFSW. You said that all the buttons worked on the wheel after you did your conversion and vagcom updates. Does that mean if I decide to go with an MK6 MFSW instead, that all the phone and radio controls will also work with my RCD-510(1K0035180AF)?

Last edited:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Hey, Stylist07, great thread.

I bought a MK5 DTM MFSW a while back for my 09 JSW TDI and I am just now getting around to installing it. But before I commit to the MK5 MFSW install I have a question for you in regards to the MK6 MFSW. You said that all the buttons worked on the wheel after you did your conversion and vagcom updates. Does that mean if I decide to go with an MK6 MFSW instead, that all the phone and radio controls will also work with my RCD-510(1K0035180AF)?

Yes, all buttons on the mk6 MFSW will work except for 2 buttons on the right side. Only because we dont have the white MDF and it does not interfere with the radio

If ur looking to buy a new mk6 SW, Airbag, CH SW module, and Turn signal there is a guy on the Classifieds that is selling this whole kit :thumbsup:

dextersl

Hey, thanks for the reply. I think the guy you were talking about was norcal. Ya he had the whole setup for 800 bones obo. But it looks like he sold it already.

Thanks for the info on the button functionality. Now I'm sold! I guess I'm going to have to sell my MKV MFSW now and starting hunting down the MKVI version! Thanks again!:thumbsup:

davido-07

Hi Stylist,

trying to resurrect this thread again, I've followed all the same steps and purchased all the correct parts including the ch control module and still not getting the steering angle sensor to work.

I've tried 2 different CH modules with no avail

what do i do?

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
clock spring

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm about to do this steering wheel swap and need a little guidance with the clock spring (1K0 959 653 C) replacement. Does anyone have any tips on this replacement? I've seen these rotated clockwise and then counterclockwise to center them before putting the steering wheel back on. Other how to videos just put it back as is without any fiddling around. I assume some vagcom programming is needed but i'm not really sure.

Thanks,
Rob

KiwiS4

I have put a MK6 non MFSW into a MK5 that had a non MFSW and the wiring still appears to be different.
No horn and no paddle shift working
Havent changed any other parts as assumed since both were non MFSW it would work

Last edited: