GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPFP Cam Follower arrives

live4something

Ready to race!
I am having bother finding a tool for the banjo bolt I know it's says on all the threads m8 triple square. But in the uk people don't seem to have ever heard of this before the only thing I can find that looks right is a spline bit is this the same as a triple square but just different name to the US version. If so what size of bit will I need ?

A spline bit is the same thing as a triple square. You would still use an 8mm

bill6211789

Ready to race!
So base on what you are saying. If this follower is really that good, you would have to only replace it 2x per year or less.

To put that in numbers $165 x 2x replacement per year = $330 every year to spend. So in 3 years time you had spent $990 just to get this fixed.

vs

H2Sport roller of $495 + ($75 x 3 hrs labour) = $720 (1 time) and no longer work on this.

So to sum it up you have wasted $990 just to fix your cam follower with chrome version vs H2Sport which you do 1 time and no longer worry...

just my .02

I said nothing about the replacing the new cam follower. I replace oem Followers 3-4x a year, HPFP Upgrades cam follower should last 5x longer easily and it also has a 2yr warranty ...... So if in a year it did need to be replaced id get a brand new one for free. In 3 yrs i may have spent 165$...... And if HPFP upgrde made me buy a new one after 2 yrs then it be 330$...... So no money wasted. Heck this may be a fix that last just as long as the H2Sport roller

I also wont be using the H2Sport fix bc its more money and requires a rev B cam. The new follower can be used with a rev A cam. Also there are not that many people using the H2Sport fix and i haven't seen many using them at stage 3 power. I haven't cared enough to research it much either.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I run the h2sport with zero issues I'm revo stage 3. I love the fact I never ever have to worry about that stupid cf any more

bill6211789

Ready to race!
I run the h2sport with zero issues I'm revo stage 3. I love the fact I never ever have to worry about that stupid cf any more

Ko4 or big turbo. Revo calls them both stage 3 iirc.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
lulz

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
I don't buy this argument at all. Why would VW spend another Reichspfennig on re-engineering the cam follower on an old motor that isn't getting any more development???

The followers and cams were failing while the FSI was still in production, several million were produced and with a 120k extended warranty thousands more are guaranteed to fail under warranty so I don't think developing and putting out a TSB for installing thicker/polished surface cam followers would be more costly than repairs...if that was a viable fix. For cars that had this repair done at 60k miles they is a good chance VW will be repairing many cars twice. Lets not forget in order for VW to release a TSI in 08' that addressed the issue they new this would plaque CURRENT FSIs probably since 2005 yet kept producing them for 3 more years so its unethical for them not to work on a solution.

How much money do you think John has to develop a cam follower? Whatever it is its chicken feed to VW. We are not talking about reinventing the wheel. On STOCK cars the cam followers generally lasted at least 60k miles. So if all it took was a cam follower revision that required thicker material (KMD did this long ago) and a polished surface to make them last 3 times as long why didn't VW just do that when it revised the cam follower. They already did a revision and I'm sure thickness and contact surface had to come up.

My guess is the thickness is making up most of the longevity here (KMD has a follower based on this concept). Can't convince me VW didn't explore a polished surface vs coating the contact surface. Cant convince me after the failures no engineers at VW didn't propose to just make future followers thicker so they last longer. There has to be a reason this wasn't done.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
The current VW followers *do* appear to be lasting longer and are rumored to have a revised or thicker diamond black coating.

bill6211789

Ready to race!
The followers and cams were failing while the FSI was still in production, several million were produced and with a 120k extended warranty thousands more are guaranteed to fail under warranty so I don't think developing and putting out a TSB for installing thicker/polished surface cam followers would be more costly than repairs...if that was a viable fix. For cars that had this repair done at 60k miles they is a good chance VW will be repairing many cars twice. Lets not forget in order for VW to release a TSI in 08' that addressed the issue they new this would plaque CURRENT FSIs probably since 2005 yet kept producing them for 3 more years so its unethical for them not to work on a solution.

How much money do you think John has to develop a cam follower? Whatever it is its chicken feed to VW. We are not talking about reinventing the wheel. On STOCK cars the cam followers generally lasted at least 60k miles. So if all it took was a cam follower revision that required thicker material (KMD did this long ago) and a polished surface to make them last 3 times as long why didn't VW just do that when it revised the cam follower. They already did a revision and I'm sure thickness and contact surface had to come up.

My guess is the thickness is making up most of the longevity here (KMD has a follower based on this concept). Can't convince me VW didn't explore a polished surface vs coating the contact surface. Cant convince me after the failures no engineers at VW didn't propose to just make future followers thicker so they last longer. There has to be a reason this wasn't done.

If vw really wanted to find a good fix they could've. They have not tried bc the r&d is more then the cost to have the extended warranty.

Kmd and hpfpupgrade are 2 completely different follower.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
If you own a mkv gti you should prolly think anything <$200 is cute and funny compared to what you these cars demand from your wallet for maintenance.

I don't care for messing about with expensive and sensitive components risking issues every time you service them. Lots of people have stripped their bolts and marred their threads dealing with the spring loaded pump. Not to mention the cam gets a little rubby rubby every time. Paying a slightly more to avoid risk is huge and not giving VW more money for their crappy followers should be worth something to every mkv owner.

That being said, when I do the apr pump I plan on sending my cam to h20sport and doing their roller fix. How many miles and how many followers are you fellas thinking for a lifetime owner of a modded car? Maybe just cut to the chase and actually fix the problem!

markcaughey

Ready to race!
If you own a mkv gti you should prolly think anything <$200 is cute and funny compared to what you these cars demand from your wallet for maintenance.

I don't care for messing about with expensive and sensitive components risking issues every time you service them. Lots of people have stripped their bolts and marred their threads dealing with the spring loaded pump. Not to mention the cam gets a little rubby rubby every time. Paying a slightly more to avoid risk is huge and not giving VW more money for their crappy followers should be worth something to every mkv owner.

That being said, when I do the apr pump I plan on sending my cam to h20sport and doing their roller fix. How many miles and how many followers are you fellas thinking for a lifetime owner of a modded car? Maybe just cut to the chase and actually fix the problem!

Does the cam lobe being exposed for a matter of seconds really put it at risk ?
As for stripping the bolts I just hold the pump tight in until iv got all 3 bolts out