GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side Mirror question

THE_SilverBullet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I have a 2009 GTI and my side mirrors are not heated. I bought a used side mirror to replace my damaged one, from ebay, but did not realize the one I bought is heated. I havent taken my door panel off yet to see how my mirror is connected, but will this heated mirror still fit even though I cant plug it in anywhere. Thank you

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
The mirror is still electric. I want to say the plug is the same, but I am not sure.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Why take the door panel off? The mirror pops off...it is a snap on fitment.

THE_SilverBullet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Why take the door panel off? The mirror pops off...it is a snap on fitment.

I have the Bentley service manual and it stated I had to remove the door panel, which I'm assuming was to get to the plug. Maybe I'll try and find a video on youtube or somewhere to see how others replaced their driver side mirror.

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
Wait, are you replacing just the glass? Or the entire mirror assembly?

THE_SilverBullet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Wait, are you replacing just the glass? Or the entire mirror assembly?

The entire side mirror assembly. Thats why I was asking if the used one I bought would fit, since the used one is a heated mirror and my '09 TSI is not heated.

I did try and replace it yesterday, but for the life of me, I could not get the window button trim piece off, so I gave up.

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
Yea, I think it should fit. If there is an extra plug just for the heater just snip it off.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Not sure about the mirror assembly but the mirrors themselves are not too different. Heated ones have two protruding connectors circled in the image. I imagine, non-heated ones do not.

THE_SilverBullet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Thank you for the info and help, much appreciated. I think this weekend I will try undoing just the one edge of the door panel to pry it open enough to unplug the mirror without having to remove the entire door panel. Hoping that will work so I can replace the entire side mirror/assembly.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
... I will try undoing just the one edge of the door panel to pry it open enough to unplug the mirror without having to remove the entire door panel. Hoping that will work so I can replace the entire side mirror/assembly.
Doubt it. The interior door card is clipped at the bottom and sides, bit the top sits in a groove that must be lifted up to remove. The card will effectively hinge at the top until all the clips are freed. You will need access at the top where the mirror connects.

Is this a US car? I thought all US mk5s, regardless of model, included heated exterior mirrors? :iono:

THE_SilverBullet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Doubt it. The interior door card is clipped at the bottom and sides, bit the top sits in a groove that must be lifted up to remove. The card will effectively hinge at the top until all the clips are freed. You will need access at the top where the mirror connects.

Is this a US car? I thought all US mk5s, regardless of model, included heated exterior mirrors? :iono:

Well if I do have to remove the entire door panel, then I'm not going to bother with it. I'll worry about that whenever or if I sell/trade-in the car. No, my '09 does not have heated side mirrors.