GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

07' UG GTI - Timeline / Build Thread

GhostImages

Since build threads are the cool thing to do I thought I would jump on the bandwagon. Although this will be more like a timeline considering I haven't done anything extensive as of yet.

Ill start off by introducing myself because I don't post too much. I've been on vortex for a few years now starting when I got my first car back in high school.

2001 Wolfsburg Jetta - Owned it for 5 years, ended up looking like this by the time I sold it with 210k on the clock:

Selling it helped me purchase the new car - 2007 United Grey GTI. I purchased the car with 83K on the clock in really good condition.

Some sweet stock photos:

It wasn't going to stay stock for long so then come some DIY projects:

Filled the plate holes, paint matched the smiley with vinyl, and debadged the GTI emblem on the stock grill setup:

And whats a build thread without....

I finished off the shield with said Plasti-dip....

Went ahead and installed ST coilovers:

At this point I had also grabbed a full Wolfsburg grill setup, and wrapped my roof with black vinyl.

Decided to try out a new taillight look and did some custom all red tails:

Full OEM votex kit followed shortly after:

Next up I needed wheels, me and my buddy messed around and mounted his AMG wheels from his A4:

GhostImages

Loved the look but didn't have the dough to offer him while he was in town plus they were a little too aggressive for the look I was going for.

Ended up finding a really good deal on Craig's for a set of OEM Audi BBS CH's that were in ROUGH shape so I scooped them up. i dont really have any good before shots of the wheels but they were all deeply curbed and scuffed. A buddy of mine refinishes wheels for an auto body company so he made me a great deal on a full refurb/spray of the set.

In the process:

All nice and painted back to original silver gloss:

Specs are 18x8 ET 43

Wasted no time getting them mounted to some Hankook V12's 215/40/18

Got them on the car and was very happy with the OEM+ look:

GhostImages

Finally got a decent trade offer for my CH's and I pulled the trigger:

Forgeline vr3p's

18 x 8.5 ET 40 w/ 452 215/40
18 x 9.5 ET 48 w/ 452 225/40

Centers were painted Candy White with a polish lip.

My buddy came down from Ithaca, NY a few days before we left for H20 so we could prep the car/drink beers so we started by replacing his T-stat because he was having some minor overheating issues:

Ended up repainting the all red tails after failing at wrapping them with vinyl - turned out 100% better than the first time around and shouldn't fade this time! :heart:

Did allot of cleaning / waxing / detailing and then took the trip down Friday from CT to MD and my buddy got a decent roller of my car:

Stopped for nourishment..

My buddy ended up picking up some wheels on the way down, we threw them on in the Makai lot (where we stayed) when we got there Friday night and all was good....until we went to drive back up North on Sunday. Wheels were smacking the struts in the rear so we had to swap back to his stockers a few miles into Delaware hah

Had an amazing weekend, was really bummed to leave and was even more bummed that I didn't take ANY pictures - was having too much fun just chilling and enjoying the festivities.

GhostImages

Finally got a set of winter wheels. Some 16" steels with some sweet hubcaps.:laugh:

Installed USP H11 CC HID Fogs. 4300K to match the headlights.

Car got dirty

Then got a free car wash today - via mother nature

sweet.

I hate winter.

I've been just doing daily duty driving to and from work.

GhostImages

Ended up getting an okay trade offer for the Forgelines plus some cash.

They are roughhhh. They are being dropped off to my buddy who is completely refinishing them and painting the faces gloss silver and the barrels gloss black

Specs are 18x8 ET 35.

They might turn out to look pretty cool - If not I'll flip them.

The extra cash from the wheel deal helped me make an even better deal..:

Pretty excited about this. Nothing will be installed until beginning of April most likely but I'm counting down the days.

Did a quick test fit of the OZ's today - pretty happy with the fitment with the coils but I don't think I'll be able to run these until I get the air system installed, tires are slightly too big for the low ET.

Also just got these in the mail, I think they'll look pretty good once I have the wheels refinished and painted silver.

Next step is air install in a month or so!

:bellyroll::bellyroll:

GhostImages

Sneak peek of the air tank wrap I'm working on...

GhostImages

hahaha, Dog is a 7 month old Toy Fox Terrier.

Got to work on my tank design today. 3M die-cut black vinyl pattern I made in Illustrator and cut at work. Took 5 hours to weed out the vinyl and get it ready to apply...

One hour in

Three hours in

Five hours in and ready for transfer tape

And the half finished product - I need to clean up the edges and fine tune details but I couldn't help but share