GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Different Armrests in Rabbits (as well as Jettas)

nm_course

Ready to race!
With my recent center armrest install, I've noticed some differences in armrests installed in Rabbits, as well as GTIs and even in Jettas. I went to look at the dealership the other day to see what was up and I did notice what I had suspected, there are two different lengths of Armrest in these cars. I think they may be different internally and get put together differently, but I don't really yet know for certain.

I've noticed a "long" version, which hangs out over the edge of the rear console under the armrest.

I've seen "short" versions, where the front edge of the armrest is basically even with the front face of the console under it.

On the GTIs, I've only noticed the "short" on the ones I looked at. I saw two new Rabbits at the dealership in 4 door with the factory center armrest, and one was long, one was short. "SE" Model Jettas seemed to all have the "long" version, however, "S" model Jettas had both long and short.

I have the "Long" version and it doesn't seem to disassemble the way that people mention for what I suspect to be the "short" version. Mine, under the cover underneath has two screws which seem to hold the armrest cover on, as well as having two chrome rods back to front. The Short seems to snap together and has a gear instead of the two rods on mine.

I've gotten some PMs about this, so aparrently, others are confused by this as well. I will go to VW tomorrow to try to find the Amrest Cover that I need in leather to replace the cloth one I have now. TM Tuning sent me one that is short and doesn't fit the center amrest kit they have sent me.

Has anyone noticed this or have anymore information on it?

Thanks,

Danny

Mad_Man

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Jetta Wagon
dunno, but if it helps, i have the "longer" version
it is factory mounted, but i have leather interior

nm_course

Ready to race!
dunno, but if it helps, i have the "longer" version
it is factory mounted, but i have leather interior

Yes,
That does help. I knew someone must have noticed this. I have been studying this to be able to figure out which part I have on my car which was purchased and installed by myself. I have since figured out pretty much which part it is, but I need to get the parts sheet from the dealer. The long, which I have from my studies, seems to be primarily a Jetta Part, but I have seen enough Jetta S Models with the "short" factory installed right next to ones with the "long". All GTI Models I have seen have had the "Short" Installed. I've seen mixed short and long on the few Rabbits (Golf) that I have seen.

Danny

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
media bay armrest?

Yes,
That does help. I knew someone must have noticed this. I have been studying this to be able to figure out which part I have on my car which was purchased and installed by myself. I have since figured out pretty much which part it is, but I need to get the parts sheet from the dealer. The long, which I have from my studies, seems to be primarily a Jetta Part, but I have seen enough Jetta S Models with the "short" factory installed right next to ones with the "long". All GTI Models I have seen have had the "Short" Installed. I've seen mixed short and long on the few Rabbits (Golf) that I have seen.

Danny

Is it possible you are comparing the standard cnolse with the optional media bay console?
I don't know about 2009+, but older cars had an iPod dock option that came with the media bay armrest,
it may be the short version you are seeing ...

nm_course

Ready to race!
Is it possible you are comparing the standard cnolse with the optional media bay console?
I don't know about 2009+, but older cars had an iPod dock option that came with the media bay armrest,
it may be the short version you are seeing ...

Well, that's what I'm calling the "short" version, which is not what I have by looks. I never know what's inside the armrest and I generally wasn't looking for Ipod Docking options on them, which might be part of why some are found where they are. I'll have to go back to some of the dealerships afterhours and view them again for options. I'm assuming that all of the plastic consoles below the armrest must be the same size, but again, that's only an assumption. My armrest (which I bought from TM Tuning) sticks out from the front of the plastic about 1/2" - 3/4" or so, like what I see in most Jettas. This all came about because I bought the Leatherette Armrest Cover from TM Tuning which is supposed to "snap on" to their armrest kit, but it's in fact shorter than the fabric on that's on there now. I have a parts sheet from VW reflecting the shorter version as shown. I found on the lot, a Jetta TDI and wrote the VIN number for them and had them pull up the parts on that specific car which looked like what I have and I told the parts guy "if my homework/guess is correct, this plastic piece from under the armrest that I've taken out should reflect the number you have on your screen". Well, it did, but I was asking for some other parts orders and I tend to limit my "special requests" and spread them out, and they seem to appreciate that with willingness to help me with my special parts search requests. Unfortunately, they showed $300+ for the armrest cover, plus, and my parts man understood me not taking it and looking to search other sources. I'm going to maybe try ECS Tuning once I get a part number. I want to get that Leather version.

Danny

(thanks for the pics)

nm_course

Ready to race!
I am pretty sure that I've seen some of the "short" ones as in your picture above with interiors that don't have the Ipod Adapter. I saw these, I believe, in some of the online "how to" postings. What I don't know, and this might be interesting to look for, is whether you can get the "long" armrest cover version with the Ipod Adapter inside.

Danny