GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello to our down-under members

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
gti oz said:
This is my first post, so hi all.
I ordered my GTi in early Jan '06, they said delivery in June. I have to sell my car before then. The dealer says that VW policy is if you wait over 6 months they will give you a car to use until your GTi arrives. Has anyone else been told this?

I'd be surprised if that were true. With the delay that VW is experiencing at the moment they would have to supply about 100 cars / month. I think very few orders are taking less than 6 months. Mine was originally 5 months and is currently 9. I won't be surprised if that doesn't blow out to 11 or 12 months by the time delivery is finally made.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
You should be able to negotiate a loan car if the car doesnt arrive by a certain date. If the car doesnt arrive this month I had it written down in the contract that they give me a loan car.

Davs

Hi to all. I agree the wait on these cars in Aust. is unreasonable. However, I signed the papers to lease one through my work just last week and the leasing company is able to deliver the car to me by July this year.....it's amazing what bulk-buying can do.

gti oz

MotoGP tragic
sublyme said:
You should be able to negotiate a loan car if the car doesnt arrive by a certain date. If the car doesnt arrive this month I had it written down in the contract that they give me a loan car.
I spoke to VW Oz today, their official line is no they don't give loan cars, so get it in writing from the dealer.
Also the delays in delivery are probably due to the dealer not ordering the car on time (according to VW Oz). They say 6 months is still the regular delay.
My car was ordered in early Jan, therefore the dealer should have a con note number to track the vehicle by now, so they say.
So I'm calling the dealer now, I'll let you know.

AM59Z2x31

Go Kart Newbie
I found the following on http://mk5gti.blogspot.com/

Are you waiting for your car? - Would you like to track when it might arrive?
I am sure I am not the only one eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new GTI and to be honest the wait is killing me. I have spoken with my dealer regualarly since placing the order and he is no doubt getting a little annoyed with it all by now.

I knew there had to be a better way, so here it is:

You do need to contact your dealer for two pieces of information

1) build week for your vehicle - i.e week 35 or whatever (relates to calendar year)

2) VIN # for your vehicle eg -WVWZZZ1KZ5UXXXXXX (the first 11 characters are common to all Aus delivered GTI's except the 9th character which denotes the model year) the last 6 characters is your vehicle's unique serial number.

If your dealer can't/won't tell you your VIN # try calling VW Australia on 1800 060 936 and see if you can find out that way. Bear in mind your car won't have a VIN # until it is built.

Using this information you can see when the ship carrying your car will arrive at your nearest seaport by going to the website below and clicking on "auto cargo" on the right hand side of the page.

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/cargoTrack.do

Once there, enter your VIN # and you will be able to see when your car was delivered to the dock in South Africa, what ship it is on and by clicking on the voyage number you can see the date it will arrive at your nearest port. Which in my case is 4 days after authoring this post (you little ripper)

Unfortunately this only works once the vehicle has been delivered to the to the shipping company which in my case was about two weeks after build week.

At the end of the day it will arrive when it arrives but this beats hassling the dealer all the time and makes the wait just that litle more bearable when you can see it with your own eyes.

I think someone siad the commission number (without the "C"?) becomes the last six digits of the VIN number? I haven't tried it yet as my build date is week 33 :cry: :cry: and so it's going to be a while yet:frown:

GTi Crow

Passed Driver's Ed
AM59Z2x31 said:
2) VIN # for your vehicle eg -WVWZZZ1KZ5UXXXXXX (the first 11 characters are common to all Aus delivered GTI's except the 9th character which denotes the model year) the last 6 characters is your vehicle's unique serial number.

I think someone siad the commission number (without the "C"?) becomes the last six digits of the VIN number? I haven't tried it yet as my build date is week 33 :cry: :cry: and so it's going to be a while yet:frown:

Just to update as the above has used an old VIN number. Golf GTI's Vin is now WVWZZZ1KZ6U plus another 6 numbers which is specific to your vehicle. As to GTI's built in or after July 2006 the 6U will change to 7U.

Another clarification is that the Commission number does not relate to your Vin (last 6 digits) and does not include any build week details. There is another number referred to as the Production Number which cites the build week, being the first two numbers and supposedly the day of the week being the third number. I do not know believe the Production Number relates to the Vin either as VWA do not get a Vin number until it is in the process of being built. My Commission number was nothing like my Vin.

Hope this helps or more likely probably confuses, but tracking of the car on the ship does give you information a lot early than VWA will.