GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Economy

henso

Hi Guys'n'Gals

This is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong place or if I make no sense. I am a COMPLETELY non-technical guy when it comes to cars but hopefully I'll get my point across!

I have a 2007 1.6 FSI Golf. It runs pretty nicely but the fuel economy seems to be pretty rubbish! for a full tank (£75!) I'm getting around 250-300 miles tops...is this normal!? Before you ask no I dont thrash it nor do I have lead weights in my boot ;)

Is this fuel economy normal?? What should I expect? What could be the problem? ANY sort of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys,
Pete :smile:

henso

I do use it mostly for city driving and I'm not sure about the fuel tank - I'd say 50 -55 litres. Hope this helps!

Is this normal??

Cheers

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
how many miles on you car????

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Your Golf should have a 55-liter (14.5 US gal.) tank. Most Golfs do. Your fuel economy does seem very much on the low side, though. You should be getting upwards of 40 mpg (and probably around 30 mpg city) on that motor under "normal" conditions.

Do drive in hilly terrain often? Driving up grades a lot demolishes fuel economy in any vehicle.

henso

Hi Chunk - yeah 55 litre sounds right, alas no hill-driving for me; just a lot of city-driving. Do you (or anyone) have any idea what could be causing this? Is there anything I could change on the car to help?

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Did you recently purchase this car? Are there mods under the hood that you arent aware about? If you recently got it I say take it back where you got it and have em look at it.

henso

I bought it about a year ago...typically it's just out of warranty. It's always been this crap though. I've seen these OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic scanners which link to smart phone, might it be worth purchasing/running one of these???

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
No man. Use a vagcom hex+can cable to run the codes. You should ask around here to find people in your area willing to help with that because the cable is $350. Software is free.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Hi Guys'n'Gals

This is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong place or if I make no sense. I am a COMPLETELY non-technical guy when it comes to cars but hopefully I'll get my point across!

I have a 2007 1.6 FSI Golf. It runs pretty nicely but the fuel economy seems to be pretty rubbish! for a full tank (£75!) I'm getting around 250-300 miles tops...is this normal!? Before you ask no I dont thrash it nor do I have lead weights in my boot ;)

Is this fuel economy normal?? What should I expect? What could be the problem? ANY sort of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys,
Pete :smile:
Certainly check the engine for errors.
But also, check to make sure you that none of your brakes are dragging.
I spent a lot of time looking for engine issues when my fuel mileage dropped 25%,
but in the end, it was a brake problem. I am now at 175,000 miles
and my fuel mileage is back to the same as it was new :biggrin:

No man. Use a vagcom hex+can cable to run the codes. You should ask around here to find people in your area willing to help with that because the cable is $350. Software is free.
Not exactly.
The software is free of charge to download, but, it is has never been free.
The current full version of the software requires a protection dongle to enable function.
The software dongle is integrated into the Ross-Tech cable,
so that is why the Ross Tech cables start at $250 USD,
that price includes both the cable and the software license costs.
If you damage a cable and need a replacement,
they will exchange it for $129+shipping last I checked (Sep 2010),
so the real cable cost is that amount and the rest is the software license fee.

... I've seen these OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic scanners which link to smart phone, might it be worth purchasing/running one of these???
BTW Ross-Tech is readying a mobile version of the product, VCDS-Mobile, its not available yet,
current plans are to release it the end of this year.