GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zimmerman Cross Drilled 312x25 w/ OEM pads?

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
So my stock front discs are worn out and I'm gonna need to replace them very soon, I'm on my 2nd set right now. 1st set was replaced with OEM but now I'm thinking why not go for something better and more stylish and for less money too. Found the pair new for 160 euro, while OEM cost about 210. My pads are ok, but you can't install used pads in new discs it's not right. So, let me show you what I have here...

These are the discs I've been looking to get and I want your input please.

One other thing.. DBC tuning is also offering them in a discs/pads package and the pads are the Hawk HP+ .To my understanding these have a carbon/metallic compound that makes them perform better, but they should be quite noisy at least for quite a long time. I know about such squeaking from Ferodo's DS2500 and I absolutely hate pad squeaking. Maybe I'm getting old I dunno point is I am really interested in comfort just as much as performance.

So my question is, assuming Zimmerman discs are good quality, will it be ok to pair them with OEM pads? I understand braking won't be as strong as with racing pads such as Ferodo's or Hawk's, but will there still be an improvement given the fact that I am upgrading the discs? Will it be the same with perhaps minor improvement that I won't even notice? Will it be worse for some reason I can't think of? How do those discs pair with OEM pads?

I cruise most of the time, yes I have a few runs occassionally but I don't do repetitive braking obviously, however I do want safety in case I need to brake from 120 mph down to 40. Not that OEM discs have been a disappointment for such use, on the contrary they've been great, but since they're due to replace anyway why not go for something better? And OEM pads offer the comfort I like.

Yes I do intend to upgrade to a complete big brake kit sometime, with larger discs, 4 or 6 piston calipers, upgraded brake lines etc., but that won't be until at least another 12 months, during which, I need new discs. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

PS I know DBC is not offering international shipping I just used their link to show you the discs.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
So my stock front discs are worn out and I'm gonna need to replace them very soon, I'm on my 2nd set right now. 1st set was replaced with OEM but now I'm thinking why not go for something better and more stylish and for less money too. Found the pair new for 160 euro, while OEM cost about 210.
So my question is, assuming Zimmerman discs are good quality, will it be ok to pair them with OEM pads? I understand braking won't be as strong as with racing pads such as Ferodo's or Hawk's, but will there still be an improvement given the fact that I am upgrading the discs? Will it be the same with perhaps minor improvement that I won't even notice? Will it be worse for some reason I can't think of? How do those discs pair with OEM pads?

No issue. I would even strongly recommend to run cross drilled
Zimmermanns with stock or similar pads only. These rotors are
prone to crack when run on track, but don't care if you cruise
most of the time.

My pads are ok, but you can't install used pads in new discs it's not right.

Not true. If there's still enough life in them (say more than half),
just place sanding paper on a plane ground and rub the pad on it
'til it's even.
Most garages tell you different cos they want to sell you new ones.

Anyways, don't drive too hard with new rotors and/or pads for the
first several hunderd miles.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Appreciate your input, thanks. I decided to go for it and so far (about 1,000 miles) no regrets, improved performance over stock after repetitive braking. They also look good. And this is probably temporary until I get a proper big brake kit. Here they are installed.