GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zero boost and no MIL?

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
So today I was on the interstate and went to step on it and nothing! Boost gauge shows needle go up to 0 but won't cross over into boost. Car is really slow :( drove a little while then shut off and restarted and same thing. There is no MIL on so not sure what's going on. It has APR stage 1 93 on right now.

If it was a tear in the dv would you still hear turbo spool?

Thanks for the help and let me know if I can provide any more info to diagnose!

Thanks for any help and let me know if I can provide any more info to help diagnose!

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Do you by any chance have the noise pipe plug? If it pops out that's all the "boost" you'll make...0psi

Happened to me when I was on the interstate. All of a sudden there was the WOOSH noise and I couldn't get the gauge to go any further than 0 psi

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
No I do not have the noise pipe plug...only mods are in my sig.

I am hoping it is just a tear in the dv diaphragm but I figured if it was that I would get a MIL and I would still hear some spool?!?

You will hear the hole in your DV most likely. If it's just a small rip in the diaphram, you will hear your turbo spool. Unless you just completely removed the DV, i couldnt see where you wouldnt get ANY boost.

Check your piping.

-FF

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
Thanks for the advice...I will check piping. If piping is stock and has never been removed how hard is it for the piping to come loose?

As simple as a stupid O-ring breaking. When i first took off my IC piping to install my godspeed, i found 2 broken ones.

Also, it could be a DV problem, and if it is, sometimes it takes awhile to throw a code.

-FF

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
Ok good to know...thanks for the help.

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
One last question...I am at this county fair thing about 30 min from home. Any harm in driving it home to a place where I can look at it?

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
So weird...on the way home car boosts just fine aaaaand the MIL came on! Looks like a trip to the dealer Monday for me!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Got warranty, they can fix it fuck it.

posted with my phone

PHILAZILLA

I had the exact same issue on Friday. '08 GTI FSI APR Stage 1 93 Octane. 62,000 miles. Passing a truck on an incline- dropped it to 5th and WOT and I lost all boost- boost gauge read in the negative (vacuum). I pulled over, turned off the ignition, switched the APR program to "stock", restarted- and I had stock boost again. Pulled over again, switched back to 93 and I had Stage 1 boost again.
Been fine since but I still took it to the dealer today at lunch and they found a fault code for "Overboost Condition". They checked all systems and they were OK. I've had the APR program for around 40,000 miles and this is the 1st time this has ever happened. Hope it was a once and done- that is a sick feeling when you think you killed your turbo and it's probably the ECU remap that caused it.

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
I had the exact same issue on Friday. '08 GTI FSI APR Stage 1 93 Octane. 62,000 miles. Passing a truck on an incline- dropped it to 5th and WOT and I lost all boost- boost gauge read in the negative (vacuum). I pulled over, turned off the ignition, switched the APR program to "stock", restarted- and I had stock boost again. Pulled over again, switched back to 93 and I had Stage 1 boost again.
Been fine since but I still took it to the dealer today at lunch and they found a fault code for "Overboost Condition". They checked all systems and they were OK. I've had the APR program for around 40,000 miles and this is the 1st time this has ever happened. Hope it was a once and done- that is a sick feeling when you think you killed your turbo and it's probably the ECU remap that caused it.

Crazy that it happened to you to! Here is an update after taking to the dealer. Dealer asked if I had any engine mods and I told them about the reflash. The dealer immediately checked the DV for a tear and didn't find one. Ran a bunch of tests and said fuel trims, boost, everything checked out perfect. The code from the MIL was also for the same overboost condition that philazilla had. reset codes, car runs perfect. Only downside is even though I am still under warranty, the dealer charged me $50 for a diagnostic scan?!?! :mad: Said it wasnt covered because they didn't fix any warranty issue. O well...hopefully it doesn't do it again!

milan187

Passed Driver's Ed
That's BS I would not pay them anything as the car is under warranty. They have to diagnose and fix it for free.

Wouldn't have even told them about the flash.

I hope it doesn't happen to you again.

PHILAZILLA

Heard back from Arin@APR- here's what he said (hope you don't mind me posting your PM, Arin):

" Re: Overboost Condition code- APR Stage 1 93 MKV GTI
If you got an overboost once I wouldn't worry about it. We don't turn off overboost protection so there is a slight chance if the stars align and you are in the right condition at the right moment and something is slightly out of whack it may overboost and throw a code. It's pretty rare to have it happen if you don't have any issues but it can happen.

What mods do you have on the car right now?

If you end up still getting it over and over, something may be wrong. You may have a faulty actuator or n75 valve. I've seen that before and those are usually the culprits.

But like I said, if it's only once, I wouldn't worry about it especially on a k03. "

So...I guess I wait and see if it happens again. My VW tech told me he ordered the n75 valve and to beat on it a bit to see if it happens again and he'll replace it under warranty.

As for telling the dealer about reflash- I got my reflash at the VW dealer so they obviously know and the tech said that 21 PSI was perfectly safe. I'll keep you posted if I end up in limp mode again- Hope not. Good luck to you.