GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

You wouldn't read about it....

maxfin

It's mine... all mine.
Unless you actually were.

Some of you may recall the 'swimming pool' sized pothole that I biffed on Kingsway about 18 months ago that required a new wheel (buckled from the impact) and tyre (fractured sidewall). Vicroads came to the party and refunded my out of pocket expenses (just over $1,100 for memory).

Well last weekend was your atypical deja vu experience. Driving along Governor Road in Braeside and whack... front right is screwed. I was driving straight in to the sun and never saw it until it was too late. The car hummed like a tuning fork for about 5 seconds immediately afterwards. Obviously a fair hit. How is this though... in 18 months, the cost of a replacement OEM wheel has gone up from the mid $700 range to just over $1,100!!! VW obviously missed the brief on our CPI and booming exchange rate. Leeches.

It gets better... driving to my fiance's folks place on Friday night, the front left passenger window exploded whilst driving on the Tulla. It's been impacted by something, most likely a rock, but it's freaky that enough direct force was generated to fritz the whole thing. I honestly thought I'd been shot at, as there is a neat little hole punched out right in the centre. It scared the shit out of me when it went bang. Thankfully I didn't end up with a lapful of glass fragments (I think the tint played a hand in keeping it all in place) and there were no new holes in me personally with red stuff leaking out. I managed to limp on to Taylors Lakes... cringing every time I drove over anything bigger than a white line.

AAMI don't cover under their windscreen policy (of course) so I'm up for a new window (+ tint). Easier to sort than a hole or big arse dent in the door panel though.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
im lucky enough that i have not had any wheels or tires damaged due to pot holes, sounds like your having a bad run !

surprisingly enough, to shatter a window, doesn't take that much effort, it just needs to be in the correct spot, and correct shape of stone.

i have a small bullseye in my windscreen. waiting for it to go right through to a full crack then ill claim a windscreen on my insurance policy. (the bullseye is already too big to be repaired, it's just not cracked through all the layers yet)

as for VW's prices, tell me about it.

about 18 months ago i brought a new lower bumper grill from my local dealer, and it was $38.
i rang them about 3 weeks ago, as i wanted to buy a second set. they have gone up to $76 ea !

talk about price gouging !
I got them from ECS tuning for just over the price of one here. including the exchange rate and express postage.

VW Australia needs to work out that in today's marketplace, you need to compete with the world on pricing.
the dealer also quoted me $180 for a headlight switch.

try $64 US from ECS ! that's more than twice the price for the locally sourced item.

Jason.