GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yes... Another FK Thread

BoostedS

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so I've been searching, and after a few months I've decided I'm going the FK coilover route. My question is, is it worth it to spend the extra 150 bucks on fully adjustable dampening? Will I ever even use this function? I'm going for that slammed look, I care little for much else. But I do daily my car, mostly freeway miles, and eventually I'll get a more aggressive wheel setup(as for now I'm stock on Denvers).

I'm mostly worried about scraping on freeway dips/bumps at highspeed (are the highsports and silverlines pretty stiff) . what should I do? just fork out the couple extra hundred and be set? I don't track my car, and will do the rarely 1/4 mile drag.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Ok so I've been searching, and after a few months I've decided I'm going the FK coilover route. My question is, is it worth it to spend the extra 150 bucks on fully adjustable dampening? Will I ever even use this function? I'm going for that slammed look, I care little for much else. But I do daily my car, mostly freeway miles, and eventually I'll get a more aggressive wheel setup(as for now I'm stock on Denvers).

I'm mostly worried about scraping on freeway dips/bumps at highspeed (are the highsports and silverlines pretty stiff) . what should I do? just fork out the couple extra hundred and be set? I don't track my car, and will do the rarely 1/4 mile drag.

Get the dampening.

flowsome

ENT in the morning
:threadjacked: how about adding the fk struts along with my springs? i still havent replaced the stretch bolts from when i got the springs installed so i'd like to kill 2 birds with one stone. should i put the new bolts and wait for the oem to blow? ride is very tolerable as it is.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Keep in mind it's rebound damping, not compression. Won't make you car stiffer or softer.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
:threadjacked: how about adding the fk struts along with my springs? i still havent replaced the stretch bolts from when i got the springs installed so i'd like to kill 2 birds with one stone. should i put the new bolts and wait for the oem to blow? ride is very tolerable as it is.

Do it right or don't do it at all :wink:

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
You could go for the FK Konigsports instead of the Silverline X if you are not going to be in a salty environment. Saves a couple hundred.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Keep in mind it's rebound damping, not compression. Won't make you car stiffer or softer.

could you elaborate for me? like the difference between rebound / compression damping?

cause i'm on the same boat. debating highsports from konigsports, and definitely wanna go as low as possible.

i had the idea that having the konigsports might be a good idea seeing as i could adjust them to be really stiff so it would help keep me from rubbing... ???

would this not work because its the rebound not compression?

sorry. im just confused and looking for answers.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
could you elaborate for me? like the difference between rebound / compression damping?

cause i'm on the same boat. debating highsports from konigsports, and definitely wanna go as low as possible.

i had the idea that having the konigsports might be a good idea seeing as i could adjust them to be really stiff so it would help keep me from rubbing... ???

would this not work because its the rebound not compression?

sorry. im just confused and looking for answers.

Don't have the apologize, we all start somewhere. Compression damping will make the car stiffer or softer. It refers to the resistance the shocks give when compressed. In other words, their resistance to compress. Rebound damping refers to how fast the shock extends after it is compressed. Think of an extended shock. Compression damping refers to how hard you would have to press to compress the shaft into the shock. Rebound damping refers to how fast the shaft would extend out of the shock body after it is compressed.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
makes sense. much appreciation for the answer!

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
makes sense. much appreciation for the answer!

NP man, you at least didnt make another "what springs are best for my car" thread :mad0259:

GTIWV

WV VW
i have the silverlines. If the place on ebay would have been selling the silverline x's when i bought mine for 999 shipped, i would have got them. but i didnt see a reason in paying 200 more for the dampening.

The konigsports and silverline X's use koni struts. The other adjustable set they offer use adjustable fk struts

FLIPSCOUT

str8dubn
you dont need sway bars for coils. But by you slamming your car, it will defeat the purpose of the swaybars (that is handling wise). However, the only swaybar you really need or will make a HUGE difference in handling is a rear swaybar. In this case I assume you plan on slamming your car, so getting a rear or front swaybar would be pointless, your handling will not be great. and not to mention some swaybars give problems with fitment with some coils while being really low. So I suggest getting only a good REAR swaybar if you dont plan on driving really low. By low or "slammed" I mean tucking tire, scraping your pan, rubbing axle low etc... Coils improve handling and drive feel only to an extent (not slammed), and when coupled with a good RSB, your car will drive and handle like a dream, only of course with a good and responsible driver lol...