GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ye Olde Smoker Thread

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
We usually buy a store bought dough ball.
So much easier than making it yourself and tastes just as good IMO.
I do this too when I can. It's easier, but you still have to rest it, flour a surface, roll it out, and get it into the oven (or on the grill) without destroying the whole thing.

My favorite cheat was that I used to be able to go by the local Papa Murphy's and just buy a pizza dough already rolled out and on the tray for like $4-$5. Then they changed management, and they were no longer willing to do that...

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I use a pellet Ooni for pizzas. My wife preps them and I bake them. Its a good system lol.
It's pretty cool because we crank out like, little 12" pizzas and we will usually make about 3,4 or even 5 different "flavors".
We will normally have people over and it is a fun activity.
It only takes about 15 min to get the Ooni up to around 700 deg. and once it is there, the pizzas cook in about a minute so it is not time consuming at all.

1.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The A1 in the background says it all though. Hah.
I mean I'm a total noob when it comes to all of this but I know enough to wonder how he could even remotely consider that to be "not too shabby" lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Brisket started at 1130pm. Done at 1130am. Snake method. Temp stayed 250-260 from 1130pm until 930am when I had to add a little more lump. Snake is the best for no fuss, no muss. Didn't have to wake up at all. At first it dropped to 200 because there was no wind, so I clamped this fan to blow in the vent. Worked great. Didn't wrap at all this time. Let it rest for 2.5 hours in the oven

20231020_231533.jpg

20231021_111517.jpg

20231021_141849.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Leaving notes here for myself so I have less guesswork next time.

8# Boston butt @ 200F (no wrap or drip pan).

Start time 7:45am

IMG_2244.jpeg

Reached stall around 2pm, fresh water & chips around 3pm. Bumped the heat up to 300ish F and would like to stabilize near 275F to power through the stall (and eat at 6-7ish hopefully).

IMG_2247.jpeg

275~300F finished it off to 205F internal at 5:45.
IMG_2262.jpeg

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I did a butt yesterday as well. A little one.
5#. Put it on at 9am @250F stalled around 2PM around 150F, was going to try to let it go but I needed it for dinner so I wrapped it up and bumped to 300F and it ended up being done around 4 or so.
Wrapped it in a towel, stuck it in the cooler and it rested for about an hour and a half.
Came out almost perfect. I'm still experimenting with flavors, but the texture was spot on.

Anyone done beef jerky in a smoker?
I'm thinking about giving that a go...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I did a butt yesterday as well. A little one.
5#. Put it on at 9am @250F stalled around 2PM around 150F, was going to try to let it go but I needed it for dinner so I wrapped it up and bumped to 300F and it ended up being done around 4 or so.
Wrapped it in a towel, stuck it in the cooler and it rested for about an hour and a half.
Came out almost perfect. I'm still experimenting with flavors, but the texture was spot on.

Anyone done beef jerky in a smoker?
I'm thinking about giving that a go...

I haven’t done jerky yet, but want to

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I looked into it a little bit earlier and I may give it a shot one day soon.
I've got another pork butt I need to do as well as a whole chicken that I was going to beer can.
So I may do one of those, and then as I'm shutting down the Egg, throw in the jerky. We'll see...

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Anyone ever done beef jerky in their smoker?
I was thinking about giving it a shot. No clue what I'd do for marinade.
But from everything I've read it seems like you want to do a top or bottom round sliced about 1/4".
Marinade for about a day, and then smoke it (I'd throw in some hickory chunks) for anywhere from 5-8 hrs around 180 deg.
And that is pretty much it...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
9# brisket I starter 6pm last night is off the smoker & resting as of 11:30am.

Held off on wrapping it till the very end, used butcher paper from 180~205*. I can’t wait to see the end result.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Ribs
IMG_20240101_122856.jpg
IMG_20240101_154709.jpg

I usually smoke them for 3 hours at around 250 with just a rub. Then I wrap em in foil for 2 hours at the same heat and then finish off for another hour at around 300 with sauce on top so it gets a nice bark. One day I had a creative moment and decided to put piapple juice on the foil before the ribs. It was a stroke of genius, they come out a pot more moist and falvourfool as the ribs absorb the juice when braising.