GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ye Olde Smoker Thread

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Money well spent on the thermometer, the remote works anywhere on the property including shop to front yard.

Fit and finish is exactly what I’d hoped for and all four probes read the same at ambient (no odd ball way off like my cheap one)
57137C70-ACF7-4DED-B78A-FBE47CDAC3CA.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ok. Not smoking, but still.

So went to grill these filets, but realized i didn't have charcoal, but had some chunk Apple wood. Burned them down a bit and put the filets on.

I have to say, it was the most flavorful steaks ever. Some Char, bursts of pepper, great beef flavor infused with hints of the Apple wood. So many layers of flavor. Was just awesome.

20220804_152556.jpg

20220804_153855.jpg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Glad it turned out for you. I over smoked my last set of thighs with apple wood. I put too much in with the charcoal. Live and learn.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yeah. For smoking a brisket, i end up using a bag of charcoal with about 10 chunks of Applewood.

But why do you say it was to much? What did they taste like

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yeah. For smoking a brisket, i end up using a bag of charcoal with about 10 chunks of Applewood.

But why do you say it was to much? What did they taste like

It over powers everything, and if they get tooo much smoke they also get this leathery skin. No bueno.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Grilled peaches are the way to go.

I've never been a fan of warm lettuce. How did it turn out?
Fresh romaine holds up surprisingly well to grilling. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot...just don't leave it on too long. Give it a nice char and pull it before it has a chance to get "wilty."

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Fresh romaine holds up surprisingly well to grilling. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot...just don't leave it on too long. Give it a nice char and pull it before it has a chance to get "wilty."

+1

I used olive oil spray and salt and pepper. Direct heat for a couple minutes. Done.

We liked it so much we made it again.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It’s brisket time. 7# left and 8# right, both from local farms (the 8# one is actually just the tip off a massive 17#’er so I’ve got a third on standby for after new years).

Cap down, dry rub (no beer this time). Shooting for a 7-8 hour cook, but you know how that goes. Hoping to step my bark game up this time.

8152280D-D0FF-4ADD-84C5-4FB2011BCCCF.jpeg
68303C3B-D9F0-4F8A-A58A-47437B42A7C3.jpeg

Of course it’s cold & rainy haha, but we’ve got 20 guests coming (also doing ham inside) so let the fun begin.