GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ye olde "car doesn't know the door is open" problem

CoconutPete

Passed Driver's Ed
So it seems this is a common problem - what I can't figure out is how many "flavors" of this problem there are and if they all have the same fault.

There was a very useful thread on soldering broken connections inside the door switch, but that guy said he had alarm problems and couldn't roll the window down with the key....

My problem is straight up: The car does not register when the front drivers side door is open ..... it would seem the switch is busted.

The main question I have is ..... do you think this throws a fault code that is stored somewhere, and if so - can I really read it with one of those cheap $12 USB / OBDII dongles and a piece of software sold on Amazon/eBay?

Bonus question: Does anyone live near Charlotte NC, have the ability to read codes and will work for beer?

Thanks

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Code is stored in memory. Doubt anything other than VCDS or dealer can read it since the MIL is not lit. You need a door latch. If I lived near you I would scan it for you.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
It will throw an implausible signal code in vag-com. You need to replace the whole unit, fun times:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Its not a bad job, the door handle is a bit of a chore to figure out how to get back together.

Just have painters tape to wrap edges so nothing gets scratched, also buy one of these:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/82089/ES413923/

There is a o ring used to keep the handle together for reinstall and if its like mine was perished and broke. I used a regular o ring from a kit I had. Took me a afternoon to sort out.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Its not a bad job, the door handle is a bit of a chore to figure out how to get back together.

Just have painters tape to wrap edges so nothing gets scratched, also buy one of these:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/82089/ES413923/

There is a o ring used to keep the handle together for reinstall and if its like mine was perished and broke. I used a regular o ring from a kit I had. Took me a afternoon to sort out.

plus if the mouse trap doesn't wanna go back on right you're gonna be reall good at taking off the door skin