GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

YCW Reference Series Coilovers (Round 2 Testing) - From $900

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I've made the same mistake on previous cars in the past so I know what your saying about the harshness of race type suspension. When I first got the car 10 years ago there was no intention to track it so I did a similar setup to yours with koni yellows and neuspeed sport springs and they are great for street and track too. Fortunately the car is now an extra vehicle and I'm looking to take it to the next level but without spending a grip of cash. My next option is to look at the ground control conversion with stiffer springs and camber plates. I can only go so stiff with the springs on the Konis, but it would still be a quality setup that won't overwhelm me with a million adjustment points. With the money saved I can look at other mods like an LSD for the DSG down the line too.

Thanks for the info though guys.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you are tracking mostly. Get the LSD first if you have to choose between coilovers and LSD. It is the best mod you can do for Autocross or Track. HUGE improvements. It was one of the last things I got and after running with it, I can easily say it should have been the very first thing I got.

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor
Looking forward to your review!

MFactory, a couple of questions for you.

1.) These all come with camber plates, or is that part of the inverted option?

2.) What is the length of the rear springs? I remember reading a different coilover review (Eibach Multi-Pro R1's) and they include 7" linear springs from the factory, but have the option of having an 8" spring swapped in.

3.) The struts are of YCW's own design?

1) Yes, the front has both camber and caster adjustment
2) 8" springs
3) Yes, we designed these from the ground up (i.e no other manufacturer uses the same dampers as we do)

Golf-R

Tarmac Rally
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTi
Hi from down under. Received the coilovers in race spec with firmer front springs(10), valving to suite and inverted rears.
Service from the guys at MFactory was excellent.
Coilovers installed last week and mechanic very pleased. Everything fitted first time and no issues. He was very complimentary.

Busy with setup at the moment and first track day this weekend and will feedback after.

Would welcome any advice with regards setup including ride height and damper settings. Car is exclusively a track car so went with firmer springs

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor
Hi from down under. Received the coilovers in race spec with firmer front springs(10), valving to suite and inverted rears.
Service from the guys at MFactory was excellent.
Coilovers installed last week and mechanic very pleased. Everything fitted first time and no issues. He was very complimentary.

Busy with setup at the moment and first track day this weekend and will feedback after.

Would welcome any advice with regards setup including ride height and damper settings. Car is exclusively a track car so went with firmer springs

One thing to note when setting up your damping settings (and this is what caught out a few of the other testers, and others running other brand coilovers, even the high-end Euro brands like KW and Bilstein) is your swaybar setup.

A lot of users just put in the largest swaybar (normally around 6-8mm, like-for-like, larger than stock) and they then get unwanted "bounciness", no matter how much they play with the damper settings.

Adding a larger swaybar is, effectively, similar to increasing your spring rate i.e your dampers are then "under dampened" for the spring rates they were valved for. This is the most common reason for the "bounciness", and is not entirely due to the dampers themselves (although you could say so indirectly)

This can be confirmed by swapping back to your oem swaybars, or even easier, just simply disconnect the end links (which basically disconnects the swaybars). If this reduces the "bounciness", then you found your issue :)

The basic methodology here is, either run a larger swaybar but with a lower spring rate (most common with JDM setups and OEM Honda due to a generally flimsier chassis), or run a smaller swaybar but with a higher spring rate (most common with Euro setups due to a more rigid chassis/larger car)

In saying that though, if this is a dedicated track car, then most don't really bother too much about low speed "bounce" and just slap on the largest swaybar they can find! lol

GT0neX

NooB-Still Sucklin' Teat
Ok just placed my order via your website. I'd end up with the same setup if I would have gone with the ground control option I was considering at around a similar price point. Not a bad thing, but at least this way I'll get something new out of it and I can put my old stuff up for sale to get some cash back OR have them revalved for even higer spring rates at a point further down the line. These won't be installed any time soon (maybe wait til Feb/March) as I wasn't planning on buying yet, but I couldn't risk on losing out on the deal if I waited too long. Hope these don't disappoint!

MFactory

GolfMkV Sponsor