GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wtb gti mk5 bonnet

shinygti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
golf gti mkv
hey i am looking for a bonnet for a mk5 gti golf i dont care what the paint is like as i have some plans for it :wink:

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
hey i am looking for a bonnet for a mk5 gti golf i dont care what the paint is like as i have some plans for it :wink:

I have a brand new one at city performance that i can sell you..
I will have a look at how much it cost and i will discount it for you..
PM if you are interested..:thumbsup:

Jig

Flow Motion
a good question. is the CF bonnet legal in NSW or in AU? I keeping hearing that it is not because the CF explodes to little pieces like glass compared to the OEM one that simply folds/crumples...

Interested to see the final results of this project shinygti.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
CF definitely isn't in Vic.

as i have some plans for it
Like cutting a hole with an angle grinder yourself and doing a dodgy graft job of a WRX scoop? It must be cool cos i've seen so many Hyundais with it lol

shinygti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
golf gti mkv
a good question. is the CF bonnet legal in NSW or in AU? I keeping hearing that it is not because the CF explodes to little pieces like glass compared to the OEM one that simply folds/crumples...

Interested to see the final results of this project shinygti.

will post some pics when its done.
cf bonnet is not legal is australia i had 1 on my skyline and got done for it and the fiberglass gaurds are not legal either and it depends on what cop gets you for them on the reason i got anything from they expolde and splinter to they will come through the windscreen and cut my head off to they are toxic when and if an fire happens......

:thumbdown:

shinygti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
golf gti mkv
CF definitely isn't in Vic.

Like cutting a hole with an angle grinder yourself and doing a dodgy graft job of a WRX scoop? It must be cool cos i've seen so many Hyundais with it lol

haha yeah i am putting a wrx scoop on it :barf:

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
Carbon fibre bits are only illegal because they alter the crash performance of the vehicle in an unknown way. If you were to have a spare car the same as yours and were to put it through the crash test procedure with the carbon bonnet and it passed it would mean the carbon bonnet was then legal - problem is nobody has a spare car to do this.

Basically the law says you cannot alter the crash performance of a vehicle unless it is proven to improve the performance AFAIK.

And I heard that CF is stronger than aluminium and would not shatter. It would not crumple like aluminium to absorb the crash but might go straight through the firewall and cut the driver in half if it didn't bend.

My gues for the spare bonnet is holes cut in it, but no scoops?

shinygti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
golf gti mkv
Carbon fibre bits are only illegal because they alter the crash performance of the vehicle in an unknown way. If you were to have a spare car the same as yours and were to put it through the crash test procedure with the carbon bonnet and it passed it would mean the carbon bonnet was then legal - problem is nobody has a spare car to do this.

Basically the law says you cannot alter the crash performance of a vehicle unless it is proven to improve the performance AFAIK.

And I heard that CF is stronger than aluminium and would not shatter. It would not crumple like aluminium to absorb the crash but might go straight through the firewall and cut the driver in half if it didn't bend.

My gues for the spare bonnet is holes cut in it, but no scoops?

Yeah that is one of the reasons transport dep gave me .
yeah going to try get some vents put into it just got to find a design that will suit it and getting a decent pannel beater to do it