GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you buy another VW?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Just got back from a 3000 mile road trip, car didn't miss a beat. Going on 116k.

langer

i fix teefs
I don't know. Bunch of issues with mine that would've been pricey repairs if I didn't have cpo. Failed follower at 35k with new hpfp and cam(stock at the time), failed ac, bad thermostat, bad dv, bad pcv, 2 bad clusters, intermittent immobilizer activation linked back to bad cluster installed at dealer (3 tows to dealer until they discovered tune and washed their hands of it), radio bass flare (minor), bad coil pack (maintenance item), broken hatch wiring harness, maybe a few others I can't come up with right now.
We have an Audi A3 tdi that's at 55k with no problems. So that might redeem my faith in the VAG family. Another dub? Who knows. Rationality usually doesn't factor into auto purchases.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I come from a heavy used car history, Fords, GM, Honda, they all have issues depending on how it's driven and who does the maintenance. VW is no different, they just require more special tools. Truthfully my cars get a bunch of oil changes and eventually the suspension gets tired, but it's a good excuse for more upgrades.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
To answer op, i just did, had an 08 fsi, no real problems with it and just got an 08 R32

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
almost 5 years with my 07 GLI now, not many big issues with it and still running strong on the F23T, it wasnt new when i got the car anyway, i think i would buy another VW no doubt.

J-Fly

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi TTS
I've only driven Hondas until owning this VW and I've never had this many mechanical/electrical problems. It's been confirmed that the recent issue is a throttle body replacement. VW of America apparently agrees with me that the number of maintenance issues I've had is abnormal and they claim that they're going to followed up with the dealership that does my repairs and they're also contacting the dealership where I made the purchase. They have offered me a 50% cost assistance.......whatever that means.

Lots of brands have their problems. VW is the only one I'm aware of that have common issues that will total your engine across multiple platforms. Transmissions are solid though.

That said, no