GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would These Stock Numbers Have Been Too Much To Ask in Our 2.0T??

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Having had a Taurus SHO in college I would never want more than 225hp on my front wheels ever again. Audi, BMW, Mitsushitty, and Subaru can put all the power they want on RWD and AWD platforms, I simply believe there's no reason to have more than 200hp on a FWD car that's meant to turn.

VINNY1

Ready to race!
I think all makers underpower their cars so they have "room to grow"(BULL shit!). I also think we are making more power with 93 octane,(APR dyno's w/93) but so is everyone else. And lastly, every car can always use another 20hp. I'm gonna get my stage 1 flash next week, stage 2 next spring, and I know each time, I'll still want more. Power is the best, and most addicting drug there is!

A happy hp. junkie!

McQueen77

Banned
As Plac said, we give it to ourselves. For the price of a GTI and $700 or so for a Stage 1 tune, we can get a substantial power boost.

On a side note, I just got back in town where I was up north visiting family. I was given a loaner car to use - a 6 year old Saturn sedan that belonged to my grandmother that she doesn't drive anymore and I drove that shitpile around for 5 days. Also drove my uncle's 2009 Mazda3 hatch.. When I picked my GTI up today from long term parking and took a few back roads home, I felt like I was driving a Ferrari. The stock GTI only feels underpowered when you get used to driving it or are stepping down from a much higher powered car. Drive around a shitbox like I did for a week or so and it resets the whole scene for a while.

Last edited:

C4L

Banned
we give it to ourselves bro.

I would say less then 5% of GTI owners have a tune. Online forums represent a VERY small portion of the GTI community. There are more then 1,500 GTI's sold every MONTH in this country. On pace to just over 20,000 GTI's this year. MOST people don't chip their cars. Only a select few.

http://media.vw.com/press_releases/volkwagen-of-america-sales-increase-10-4-percent-in-august

Heck, I am on my second GTI in 5 years and an active member of the forum community and I never chipped either. No modifications at all actually.

I would like if my car had 220-250hp out of the box. I have no interest in voiding my warranty the day I take delivery.

There is literally only two turbocharged cars with less power then ours, Cruze (138hp 1.4L) and Cooper S (181hp 1.6L)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Power is nothing compared to refinement and quality. The TSI is a PROVEN engine. No wonder they use it completely across their line. Its cheaper and way less problematic. Would it hurt to get more power? Probably not, however, Has anyone ever driven a Sonata 2.0T? Ny point, exactly. It lacks EVERYTHING the GTI (Or moreso the VAG TSI Engine) has.

I would much rather have a 200hp (250hp chipped) with the quality and refinement to that of a luxury vehicle, than a tinny, cheaply made, horrible quality 276hp turbocharged motor.

APdubbin

Ready to race!
I would say less then 5% of GTI owners have a tune. Online forums represent a VERY small portion of the GTI community. There are more then 1,500 GTI's sold every MONTH in this country. On pace to just over 20,000 GTI's this year. MOST people don't chip their cars. Only a select few.

http://media.vw.com/press_releases/volkwagen-of-america-sales-increase-10-4-percent-in-august

Heck, I am on my second GTI in 5 years and an active member of the forum community and I never chipped either. No modifications at all actually.

I would like if my car had 220-250hp out of the box. I have no interest in voiding my warranty the day I take delivery.

There is literally only two turbocharged cars with less power then ours, Cruze (138hp 1.4L) and Cooper S (181hp 1.6L)

500 for a tune and your at everyone elses level of horspepower, case and point.
If you dont want a tune, stop whining and get a WRX if you just want horsepower numbers.

Like others said, this car is a lot more than just the power.

McQueen77

Banned
500 for a tune and your at everyone elses level of horspepower, case and point.
If you dont want a tune, stop whining and get a WRX if you just want horsepower numbers.

Like others said, this car is a lot more than just the power.

I think you missed the point of his post or are just being a dick. He didn't elude to any of that. Just said that he wouldn't mind a little more power out of the box. Practically the same engine as the A4, so why not A4 numbers? It doesn't really 'bother' me personally as the car feels fine to me, but the numbers are a little low is all in comparison. I wouldn't take any of the higher rated cars in class though for the GTI because the GTI has so much more going for it than those other cars in my opinion. And he's right, most people don't tune their GTIs. And sure, you can drop $500-700 and get more power out of your car, but like it or not, you are totally voiding your warranty. This isn't by any means to open up that can of worms because most of the time, you probably won't have a problem, but by definition you are voiding your warranty by tampering with the ECU. So its just lamenting that owners of the car shouldn't have to shell close to another grand + risk future warranty issues for a little more power that, in theory, could have come with the car in the first place.

APdubbin

Ready to race!
I think you missed the point of his post or are just being a dick. He didn't elude to any of that. Just said that he wouldn't mind a little more power out of the box. Practically the same engine as the A4, so why not A4 numbers? It doesn't really 'bother' me personally as the car feels fine to me, but the numbers are a little low is all in comparison. I wouldn't take any of the higher rated cars in class though for the GTI because the GTI has so much more going for it than those other cars in my opinion. And he's right, most people don't tune their GTIs. And sure, you can drop $500-700 and get more power out of your car, but like it or not, you are totally voiding your warranty. This isn't by any means to open up that can of worms because most of the time, you probably won't have a problem, but by definition you are voiding your warranty by tampering with the ECU. So its just lamenting that owners of the car shouldn't have to shell close to another grand + risk future warranty issues for a little more power that, in theory, could have come with the car in the first place.

Mainly being a dick is right.
But now for real..
VW will never allow for their GTI, to outperform their Audi luxury branch. If it did, they would have A4 and Audi folks bitching that their numbers are only as good as a shitty VW. They would then have to boost their Audi numbers across the board, as you just cant boost the A4 because it would compete with A6 etc. etc.

The warranty void is still debatable, and really its only a void on the ECU if anything.
So again, get tune or go WRX if your all about the horsepower.

McQueen77

Banned
But now for real..
VW will never allow for their GTI, to outperform their Audi branch. If it did, they would have A4 and Audi folks bitching that their numbers are only as good as a shitty VW. They would then have to boost their Audi numbers across the board, as you just cant boost the A4 because it would compete with A6 etc. etc.

The warranty void is still debatable, and really its only a void on the ECU if anything.

Good point about Audi numbers. There is no 'only' about voiding the ECU. Its not like thats some minor component. Otherwise, yeah, chip that thing. I'm definitely considering it.

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Thats true, its an important component, but its very rare for it to go bad.
Take the risk, its worth it :thumbsup:

McQueen77

Banned
Thats true, its an important component, but its very rare for it to go bad.
Take the risk, its worth it :thumbsup:

Yeah.... After getting the car and living with it for a while, fixing the wind noise and creaking/rattling issue and fixing the mushy drive train scene with the torque arm insert, that it needs 2 things to be an essentially perfect car. A little more power and better audio. Seems like with about $1200 (Stage 1 + Dynaudio upgrade) that it could be... perfect...

C4L

Banned
But now for real..
VW will never allow for their GTI, to outperform their Audi luxury branch. If it did, they would have A4 and Audi folks bitching that their numbers are only as good as a shitty VW. They would then have to boost their Audi numbers across the board, as you just cant boost the A4 because it would compete with A6 etc. etc.

The GTI already does outperform a lot of Audis. Actually it outperforms ALL Audis with their 2.0T. A3/A4/A5/A6... TT is the only one close but if I am not mistaken the GTI still outperforms a TT 2.0T.
And Audi still uses FSI and not the superior TSI.

They boost the numbers for pure marketing sake but due to heavy cars, the Audi 2.0's are slower then the VW 2.0's.

I am content with the power of the car. But it has gone unchanged since the MKV launched in 2005 in Europe. That is now 7 years and 2 generations using the same motor. That is unacceptable by todays standards. NO car company does that.

C4L

Banned
I would much rather have a 200hp (250hp chipped) with the quality and refinement to that of a luxury vehicle, than a tinny, cheaply made, horrible quality 276hp turbocharged motor.

The Hyundai motor has nothing to due with the low quality vehicle surrounding said motor.

And just split the difference. Think the motor from the Edition35 GTI. 235hp from the same motor in the same car. THAT should be the GTI for everyone.

The power isn't necessarily the frustrating part. What is the frustrating part is that we know VAG already has higher power variants of the same motor and just won't put it in the GTI.

Same (or very similar) motor;

VW Tiguan/CC/GTI/Eos/Beetle/GLI - 200hp
Audi A3 - 200hp
Audi A4/A5/A6/Q5/TT - 211hp
VW Golf R - 256hp
Audi TT-RS - 265hp

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I am content with the power of the car. But it has gone unchanged since the MKV launched in 2005 in Europe. That is now 7 years and 2 generations using the same motor. That is unacceptable by todays standards. NO car company does that.

Mazda actually did a carry-over of the Mazdaspeed motor. Same motor, same displacement, same power ratings since 2006. No replacement is in site either.

In VW's defense, at least (and as you referred to) did swap out the FSI for the better TSI.