GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winters from Tire Rack to BC

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
Hi

Has anyone bought winter tires from Tire rack and had them shipped to Blaine?
I am just wondering how much tax + duty I have to pay on a 700 dollar set.
12% + how much duty??
If it's too much, I might as well just order from PG.

Thanks

DesmoDan

AutoX Pylon
It's totally worth it. The shipping is as posted on TR. You simply pay hst. when you cross the border. Still way cheaper than any options in BC. And get it shipped to Pt. Roberts. It's way closer than Blaine. www.thelettercarrier.com

wbean

attention whore
Car(s)
09 CW Gti
but getting it from blaine means you also save on gas price. today i filled up @ $3.97 a gallon for shell 92 = )

A set of winters from tire rack is like ~ $600 versus $190/each in vancouver
assuming we're talking about 17" snows.

Duty is 5% + HST for autopart items.

PG gets their products shipped to Can-Amer shipping on Boblett street in blaine.

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
thanks
i'm contemplating driving down to the border because

1. pain in the ass
2. to save 50 bucks is not worth it (PG is having a special on winters right now)
but tire rack offers free mounting and balancing so that's another 90 bucks saved...

can i use my stock bolts (a3) for steel wheels too? Tim at PG says i need to get conical ones?? the sales rep from tire rack says i can reuse the stock ones. i searched on forums but i still get the same answers... some say replace some say reuse...

wbean

attention whore
Car(s)
09 CW Gti
honestly it doesn't matter what kind of bolts you use.

it's just for "better" seating. having a ball seat vs a conical seat just makes it more secure and won't damage your wheels (b/c it doesn't seat snug)

but if it's steel wheels, does it really matter if it scratches the holes? As long as the length is appropriate it doesn't make a difference. It will fit

afaik. : )

wbean

attention whore
Car(s)
09 CW Gti
ps: i would trust tire rack if you're buying from them. i don't see why u need aftermarket bolts for steelies.

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
thanks!
i don't worry about wheels being damaged, i worry because i don't know if the wheels might fall off the car or something lol.
always had all seasons through previous winters and this is the first time buying winters.
i'll just go ahead and order from tirerack.
thanks!

eason_c

Discount Tire Direct is the best.. free shipping in US, but they don't have as much sections as Tire Racks. I got a set of 17" snow tires with Momo wheels for $800US 2 yrs ago.

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
I just ordered from tire rack.
Discount tire direct did not have many choices for winters, in fact, just one tire for my car in the size i wanted.
I bought black steelies with the tires.
Thanks guys.

eason_c

Have to order no later than Sept from Discount Tires Direct for winters.. they don't have many in stock, but free shippment is great.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I ordered my winter tires from Tire Rack last year and paid on tax, no duty or recycling fee. Same thing when I bought my summer wheels and tires a few years ago.

For winter tires I went with a narrower 215/45/17 than stock because there is more choice and that size is cheaper.

lessthanalex

Passed Driver's Ed
Could check out 1010tire, they're based in BC so shipping would be super fast. Might be like 10-20$ more but nice to keep the money on our side of the border if you ask me!

wbean

attention whore
Car(s)
09 CW Gti
no 1010tires cost a lot more than 10-20$ over tire rack ....

they're quite expensive actually

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
yea...
actually I checked 1010tires too. the price difference was very big.

i'm getting 205/55/16 Continental extreme winter contact for $109/tire + $56/steelie from tire rack.