GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter tires rock

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
I am so glad I switched over to some Dunlop Wintersport 3d's for my winter setup. I can plow through pretty much anything the Michigan winters have thrown at me so far. The only problem now is I am the only one showing up to work in my department when we get hit with this crap. We had 2 inches of snow, then freezing rain on that, then another 8 to 10 inches yesterday. Yeah winter and Darn slackers. I am sure the other northerners can relate.

I would recommend these Dunlops to anyone looking for a great winter tire that is really quiet in dry conditions and keeps traction in the yucky stuff.

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
i got the dunlop graspics and i love em

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
I've never used Winter tires, but I could definitely use some here in Chicago. Question....how well would Winter tires be for year round use? In the summer, would they be noisier, or not grip as well? Not that I'd rock Winter tires in the Summer...but I'm just curious.

I have bridgestone blizzak revo 1's. Not a big fan of dry traction...my car just has too much power. It's been the most bizzare winter here on LI...not one day of accumulated snow yet.

Driftin GTI

auto-x champ
I've never used Winter tires, but I could definitely use some here in Chicago. Question....how well would Winter tires be for year round use? In the summer, would they be noisier, or not grip as well? Not that I'd rock Winter tires in the Summer...but I'm just curious.

Winter tires are winter use only, you would destroy them rolling in the summer time. You should defintely swap them out when the season is over.

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
What Driftin said, you'd kill those tires real fast rolling them in the summer.
Very strange winter up here also. We have gotten hit a few times with 10+ inches of snow and within a week it is 50+ degrees and its gone.

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
Very strange winter up here also. We have gotten hit a few times with 10+ inches of snow and within a week it is 50+ degrees and its gone.

I hear ya about the weather. Up here it's been switching between ball-freezing-cold, to shorts weather, and inbetween that it would snow for a day or two. But mostly it's been ball-freezing-cold. :(

aliti19

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI w/ PP
I'm rolling on 16" Michelin X-Ice tires. Let me tell you - wow! I had no idea what I was missing all of these years without snows. I've put them to good use this winter. Chicago's had the most snow in over 9 years so far this season!

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
ya i have pirelli winter carvings on right now and they have saved my ass numerous times. i dont understand how some people can go through winters without a set!

crogers6569

Ready to race!
ya i have pirelli winter carvings on right now and they have saved my ass numerous times. i dont understand how some people can go through winters without a set!

We drive these when the weather is nasty.

The road to our mountain house never gets scraped so when its skiing time thats the road I drive. First tracks are always the worst in 2-3ft of fresh snow.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
To the OP, I agree. My friend has the 3D's and the response of them seems a lot better than my Goodyear Ultra grips. Granted, I already had the tires from my sister's old Grand Prix she sold, so I just had to get steel wheels, but for my next set, Wintersport 3D's it is. They are very quiet compared to mine as well.

I can't wait for spring because I'm sick of no response in the dry. Need to test my RSB.

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
The more I drive on the 3d's the more I really like the feel, the road noise (none) and the grip. Thumbs up to all of us who have been wise enough to put some kind of winter tire on. After our last snow fall here I couldn't help but to laugh when a big 4x4 with a plow had buried themselves in a ditch and I was cruising along in my little german hatchback.

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
I have bridgestone blizzak revo 1's. Not a big fan of dry traction...my car just has too much power. It's been the most bizzare winter here on LI...not one day of accumulated snow yet.

I was going to get these until I seen the speed rating on them. They are Q rated which is 99mph. This may be why you have bad dry traction.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
What are the 3D's rated at? H rating? Not like you should be going over 100 in the winter months for extended periods of time.