GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Mode Time.

phil2.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' Rabbit black 2dr
Hi guys, winter is coming to Montreal and its time for winter mode.

I have decided to keep my coils on for the winter FK silverline plus(stainless) so no rusting.

What should I do in order to prep my car for the winter comming.

Grease, lube ??

Thanks

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Check tire pressures, change oil now so you won't have to in the cold, check the brakes over, ABS, etc etc. You shouldn't have to grease/lube anything though, at least nothing that I know of. Oh, putting a good paint protectant on it isn't a bad idea either. Make sure your defrosters, heated mirrors, and wipers work. Top off the windshield washer fluid with the appropriate temp grade.

Oh for what it's worth, I would put some type of grease on the sleeves/perches of the coilovers. Talk to someone with coils because I don't know what you'd use. But crap can still deteriorate coilovers or just make it hard to make adjustments. You may want to raise them up too.

vwinva

Ready to race!
I ran coilovers for over 4 years up in harsh Buffalo, NY winters. After every winter my coils looked brand spanking new.

Wheel bearing grease is your best friend. Put a thick coat on the threads and it will last through the entire winter. The stuff is crazy messy but is amazing at protecting the threads from the snow/salt/etc.

phil2.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' Rabbit black 2dr
Check tire pressures, change oil now so you won't have to in the cold, check the brakes over, ABS, etc etc. You shouldn't have to grease/lube anything though, at least nothing that I know of. Oh, putting a good paint protectant on it isn't a bad idea either. Make sure your defrosters, heated mirrors, and wipers work. Top off the windshield washer fluid with the appropriate temp grade.

Oh for what it's worth, I would put some type of grease on the sleeves/perches of the coilovers. Talk to someone with coils because I don't know what you'd use. But crap can still deteriorate coilovers or just make it hard to make adjustments. You may want to raise them up too.

Thanks for the overall info. I will make sure I check this out.

I ran coilovers for over 4 years up in harsh Buffalo, NY winters. After every winter my coils looked brand spanking new.

Wheel bearing grease is your best friend. Put a thick coat on the threads and it will last through the entire winter. The stuff is crazy messy but is amazing at protecting the threads from the snow/salt/etc.

Thanks a million dude, I will try not to put some all over the place.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
My winter prep is as follows:

- Install steelings and winter tires
- Install closed fogs
- Install OEM car bra
- Lube up my Forge DV

Tonight I also replaced my wipers, cam follower and I installed the Passat subframe bolts, but not necessarily in prep for winter. They just needed to be done. :biggrin:

Oil change in the next couple weeks.

phil2.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' Rabbit black 2dr
Car Bra is the worst thing ever.

If dirt gets caught under it you are effed.
Paint scratch, swirls. etc.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
- Install closed fogs
- Lube up my Forge DV

Why do you install the closed fog grills? And do you lube the DV because it sticks in the cold? I guess I should do that since I think I had that issue last year; it's just such a pain in the butt to get access to.

Car Bra is the worst thing ever.

If dirt gets caught under it you are effed.
Paint scratch, swirls. etc.

Yup, you're screwed either way. Rock/salt chips vs scratches/swirls. The best thing to do is get a second car that you don't care about and drive that in the winter. The problem with that is the space needed to keep it, extra maintenance, insurance, and the money to afford it.

And I'd find myself being meticulous about it as well haha.