GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windows Fogging Up Like Crazy

Fruhstuck

Hello all,

So I just purchased my first VW. It's a 08 GTI. I've been driving it everyday for a couple weeks now and loving it. What I'm not loving, is that about a week after driving it, the windows started to fog up like crazy! I'm not talking some condensation obstructing the view. I'm talking every window fogs up to the point that I can't see outside. It fogs up so much so, that beads of water start to run down the glass.

I can get the front a rear window to clear up fine, but I have to run the rear defroster and front window defroster at full blast with the heat cranked. Even then, the side windows fog up and the rear back seat windows are just a permanent film of condensation. I'm wondering how I can fix this?

I tried running the AC with the defroster on and it seems to do very little. The seals on the car are all fine. The only thing that clears the windows is driving with the windows down. Living in New York, during this time of the year, that is a very cold drive.

Anyways, I read on another post that it could be Air Recirculation Flap Motor being stuck (Part Number: 1KO-907-511-C). It seems easy enough to fix, but before I order the part, I would like to know how to tell if it's broken or not?

Any help or suggestions definitely appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fruhstuck

I haven't heard any clicking noises. Just when I down shift or hover at a low RPM, the car will sometimes have a vibration noise come from the front right part of the cabin. That's probably just a loose rattling plastic panel or something though.

LonAllen

Passed Driver's Ed
Usually that can be an indication that the heater core has a leak. If the AC evaporator can't clear the humid air then you have something dumping excessive moisture into the cabin.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Fruhstuck

This weekend I pulled the glove box out to check if the Air Recirculation Flap Motor was broken. The motor definitely isn't making that loud clicking noise that I've heard it's supposed to make when it's broken. However, the recirculation flap itself is not moving. if I press the close/open switch for air recirculation it doesn't move. It's stuck in the closed position.

With that being said, I would assume it's the motor that's broke still because that's what moves the flap. Any ideas?

Also, in regards to LonAllen's response. I really hope it isn't a leaky heater core. I looked up how to get to it and it's no five minute process.

Thanks for the help so far all!

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Any changes in coolant level, coolant pooled in the car/carpet, residue from coolant on condensation on windows or a coolant smell from vents? These would all be indicative of heater core leak. It's possible if the recirc flap is stuck so that it is constantly recirculating, that would result in bad fogging inside the car. Let's hope that is the issue not the heater core.

Fruhstuck

Hey,

So I solved the issue. It turned out to be the air recirculator motor that was broken. It didn't even make the weird clicking noise people suggested, it just didn't move at all and the air flap was stuck on the recirculate position. I replaced the motor and bam! No more condensation on the windows and the flap moves up and down with no problem.

Thank you to all who helped me troubleshoot this.