GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Not DIY coil's?

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
So i'm picking up my coils with my next paycheck, which will be my first mod to my car and can't wait. It will also be my first time installing a set of coil's on a car. I've helped, watched but it was an integra also.

So why does everyone choose to have a shop install them, why not DIY, you only have to purchase 2 key tools to do it, and you can have the pride of saying you did it yourself?

Input?

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
i would rather have a shop install a part like that, while i'm at work.

2 reasons:
1) while they play with my car for 5 hours, i can make money.
2) if something goes wrong, i can blame someone, and have them fix it - lol ( i know it sounds assinine, but what are you gonna do?)

andrewt

Autocross Champion
i installed coils myself too. i think quite a few people have done it. some people also just don't have to know how or the time to do it themselves.

seung

Oval Newbie
when i had a of time and no money,
it was fun.
now i have no time and have some money,
i hate diy.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
i enjoyed installing my own springs w/ a friend of course, about 3-4 hours, saved about 400 bux.

its so fucking easy.

vdub_nutz2K6Gti

Autocross Newbie
it's not all that bad at all...if you have some experience with suspension installation or a little knowledge at least..you should be okay. :thumbsup:

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Having do A LOT of susp work the Mk5 is not too hard. Try a B7 A4 and you will see hard:cry:

For me personally it is cheaper than a shrink. It's my chance to turn my critical thinking skills off, use my hands, and do something completely different than what I do on a daily basis.

I can hear the guys who say it isn't work the time vs money factor though. That's my approach to home improvement DIY.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
Bad hare said:
2) if something goes wrong, i can blame someone, and have them fix it - lol ( i know it sounds assinine, but what are you gonna do?)
That would be my main reason for having a shop do it. If I messed something up and damaged my car sucks for me, if shop does something wrong and messes up my car they pay for it. But also Ive never installed a suspension kit before and I wouldnt my own car to be the guinea pig.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
Kirium said:
Does it require a hoist, or is it done on jack/ car stands??

definitely would makes it easier