GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do I keep getting denied by capital one?

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
its under his dads name

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i already had a positive credit score thanks to my jcpenny card, and so i cosigned with my Mom to get better payments.

if you were to look though, you would see it's in my name.

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
I already gave my 'real' advice. It's up to Leesburg whether he takes it or not.

It seems to me he's already set on trying to get a credit card through his bank.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Way too many posts to read them all. I went to my bank today and got some advice from him. He told me that right now it's going to be nearly impossible for me to get approved. He was a really cool guy who used to own a MKIV Jetta 2.0 with a bored out engine, massive turbo upgrade (HPA), and a 4motion AWD swap. He said he was pushing out over 400awhp. His advice was to go to Target/Macys and get one of their cards and only buy like a pair of socks a month and then pay it off. He said to come back after around 6-7 months and he could almost definitely get me approved.

I chilled with him a little longer and we talked about cars then I made my deposit and left. I'm getting a target "red" card and I'm just gonna charge car wash/wax on it. Then after a while I'll go back to my bank and get approved.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
So cliff notes

OP trying to get credit card through bank, gets denied, we tell him to go to gas station or dept store to get, no one believes, he goes to bank, teller gives same advice, OP takes it. Cliff notes FTW! :biggrin::lol::bellyroll:

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I was also told by the guy (he teaches a credit class) to never go over 50% over your balance and if you max out your card it hurts your credit even if you pay it in full. He told me not to only pay off some of it to get my credit up. He said that it's much better to pay in full every billing cycle as long as you don't go over 50%. So if my limit was $1000 then to only spend a max of $500 and to pay it off right away.

Also, every time you apply for a credit card (whether or not your accepted or denied) you lose 1/2 a point on your credit score. So I already lost 1 1/2 points for applying to capital one 2 times and AMEX once.

Like I said I'm just gonna get a target red card and spend like $10-20 a month, pay it off in full and then after 6-7 months check my credit score. I could get a card with one of my parents co-signing but I want to build my credit by myself. Not rely on my parents. I hate relying on other people for things. I don't think that proves responsibility, it sounds a lot better to me to do it yourself and not rely on others. It's your life, not theirs.

Thanks for the advice everybody!