GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why a GTI, if there is a speed limit?!

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
tydale3 said:
My salesman was from Germany and lives there. He told me the only cars in germany that dont have some kind of speed limiter is a porshe. All audis , vw's, benz. bmw's all have limiters just like American cars. They just allow a little more so called top speed, depending on what american car you compair it too.

Roger that! Limit is 250 - but its voluntary. Every tuner can disable the limiter legally.

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
Teknophreak said:
I want to add onto desa's point about driving manners. In the US, we can't drive for shit. Did you notice in the video that people actually move over when a faster vehicle approaches. That's something you hardly ever see in the states.

No man, i cut off the scenes when cars cross my line of fire...

Ask a german about the german driving manners, awful he would say: aggressive, egoistic, unkind, everyone insists on his rights. :mad:

Ask me about the US driving manners, id say: relaxed, polite, easy going, slow motion :smoking:

Must be the state of mind: if you are on vacation -like me in the US- everythings is beautifull, is it everyday life it bugs you!

76er

Madman With Wheels
Car(s)
MkV GTI
NO MAAM! said:
Roger that! Limit is 250 - but its voluntary. Every tuner can disable the limiter legally.

That would be Bugatti Veyron territory, which incidentally is also a Volkswagen. :headbang:

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
76er said:
That would be Bugatti Veyron territory, which incidentally is also a Volkswagen. :headbang:

250 is kmh not mph...

250kmh works our about 155mph

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
NO MAAM! said:
No man, i cut off the scenes when cars cross my line of fire...

Ask a german about the german driving manners, awful he would say: aggressive, egoistic, unkind, everyone insists on his rights. :mad:

Ask me about the US driving manners, id say: relaxed, polite, easy going, slow motion :smoking:

Must be the state of mind: if you are on vacation -like me in the US- everythings is beautifull, is it everyday life it bugs you!

i can agree with those statements, driving just from darmstadt to heidelberg on A5 can be rediculus. if you are about your witts, you can FLY on the autobahn.

:smoking:

mk1-fan

Drag Race Newbie
My previous car was a C32 AMG. So I didn't buy the GTI for it's top speed capabilities, but for it's overall package. BTW our speed limit here is 120km/h. When I drove the GTI for the first time, at the launch, I was realyy impressed with the handling and overall feel of the car. I am an ex-racing driver, and places a bigger emphasis on handling than on performance. Having said that, my GTI's top speed is the same as my C32, because it is chipped. Most of the time I stick to the speed limit, I enjoy the acceleration more. I also use my car in VW Club track days, 1/4mile, and top speed runs.

vw_ch

Ready to race!
hi NoMaam not everything is about top speed its about handling, looks and about a car that has become in icon.I live in Mexico and we also have speed limits but as in USA we can run flat out sometimes but not all the time people get killed you know.BTW love your country, I studied in the German School here in Mexico it´s called Colegio Aleman Alexander von Humboldt.
Maybe I will be going to the World Cup to support Mexico´s team .Bitte nicht zu schnell fahren!!!!!!

Fowvay

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2000 New Beetle GLX
I think this lil story sums it up nicely.

Back when I was selling Dubs (mid 90's) I came into the showroom talking to my customer about his twin Turbo Corvette. My general manager over heard us and said "what a waste you can't go over 65 anyways". My customer yelled "BULLSHIT... I have a pocket full of tickets that prove otherwise".

Just because it's the law doesn't mean it can't be broken :burnrubber:

exS4

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
`06 GTi
It's about "HeadRoom"

In the Home Audio world, there's a term used called "HeadRoom".
For example: An "AudioPhile" may buy a 1000watt amp for his stereo system.
Not because He wants to blast Metallica at the full 1000watt volume capacity
of his system, but because an amp that is designed to play at 1000watts,
can perform at 100watt levels exceptionally.
When it comes to cars, I myself try my best to observe all traffic laws
except that I admit that I like to speed within what I deem to be resonable for the
situation. If I know that my German Autobahn rated GTi, can safely perform
at speed in excess of 100MPH on the autobahn, then it should have enough "headroom"
to perform exceptionally at speeds below 100MPH.
In conclusion, as Arnold once said... "Don't be a Girlieman!" :biggrin:

NO MAAM! said:
I am curious! (no offence!!!:smile: )

If you are not German: why did you own a GTI, when u never have the chance to drive (legaly) with top speed? :help:

If there would be a speed limit in Germany, my car would be big, soft and cosy.:smile:

Sure, the GTI is a very good car everywhere, but where is the fun? Just the handling on small streets?

Give me a hint! (easy english favored :thumbsup: )

btw, this is my first international posting - forgive me any spelling mistakes

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
im sorry but i have to say that i speed..
you just get the urge to go just that little bit faster once in a while..
but i only do it when its at night lol

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
tydale3 said:
what i mean is just that, It is up the the state police on the Toll Road to decide what speed they will pull you over for, not what is posted. If they pulled everyone over that was going 56 miles per hour they would need 10,000 poilice cars. During rush hour they let you run 80 if your not acting a fool. So the posted speed is a guideline. Traffic on I-65 going south runs at higher speeds than that most of the time. I have run 90 plus all the way to Indianapolis and never seen 1 car pulled over in 150 miles.

My salesman was from Germany and lives there. He told me the only cars in germany that dont have some kind of speed limiter is a porshe. All audis , vw's, benz. bmw's all have limiters just like American cars. They just allow a little more so called top speed, depending on what american car you compair it too.
look up the german speed agreement, it was done to rpevent a speed race

Hoppy6698

Go Kart Newbie
After living and driving in Germany for the last 4 years, I can say its one of the few things I will miss when I hit the states. My current BMW is awesome at 130 mph when cruising down the A4 and I will miss that in the US. The GTI offers a lot more low end grunt than the BMW, so it means more fun in the 0-60 range than my 325i. Cruising in either would be great at top speeds, but the GTI represents a cheaper alternative for fun in the US.

Other than that, I love German engineering - no other country puts as much spirit into their driving and enjoyment of driving as does Germany. Japanese engines can be fun, but require a lot more work (shifting into extreme redlines) in order to be enjoyed. Not always a possibility in the US.

NO MAAM!

Go Kart Champion
Hi Hoppy!

So your car-career will be similar to mine - had a 325i Conv. before (view my garage).:w00t:
The GTI is much much much more fun to me (handling, power).:evil:
Although the 6in-row BMW engine is a work of art, compared to the GTI its powerless.

Hoppy6698

Go Kart Newbie
True enough mate, I love the BMW cruising, but on the take off ... its sort of lacking. But the beauty of the straight six is ... priceless. Too bad most makers are moving away from such designs.

I look forward to the fun factor of the GTI!

rossco63

Autocross Newbie
The GTI is so much fun to drive on twisty back roads where you can put it to work carving up curves and hills. There are a lot of roads like that where I live in Kitsap county Washington.
It's a blast to drive anytime. My wife doesn't speed but loves to accelerate quickly, and the GTI loves to jump and run.
I need to get a radar detector though. Just got my first GTI speeding ticket last night on a straight highway at night. Only doing 75 in a 55, but that cost me $120.