GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which type Oil on Stage 2 ?

Ralm

Car(s)
Mk7 R
Hello there..

Recently got mk7r and on service check they changed oil with new, 5W 30.

Since the car is on stage 2 any recommendations what kinda oil index should I fill it up next time i take to dealer or is it just fine with 5W 30?
Is 5W-40 just fine?

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
It doesn't matter, but if you are in a colder climate 5W 30 might even be better.... just make sure its VW spec, VW 502.00 / VW 505.00..... If its a VW Dealer, it should be.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
This time of year I'd be fine with 5w30 since the car rarely gets above 80C. If you're beating on it 5w40 is preferrable since it will be less prone to shearing down, but if it's cold and you're just cruising, it doesn't matter.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Mobil 1 0w40 euro formula is supposed to be pretty nice. Cheap too. Bitog guys have stated the “W” viscosity is actually closer to 5 than 0. Gonna try it in another VW and see how it works out

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Mobil 1 0w40 euro formula is supposed to be pretty nice. Cheap too. Bitog guys have stated the “W” viscosity is actually closer to 5 than 0. Gonna try it in another VW and see how it works out

I've been using this for about 5 years in my A3, seems like good stuff. I'll use it for the GTI as well when it's due.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah I use the Castrol 0w40 Euro formula myself... but I think those oils are for the US market, he is in Bosnia, I dont think he gets those... Even though that Castrol Euro we get is made in Belgium....

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Mobil 1 FS line now has 3 viscosities. 5w30, 0w40, 5w40. All meet VW 502 and other relevant specs iirc. Take your pick based on desired viscosity, usage or ambient temps

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Your R is spec'd for oil with the VW504 00 approval. They are all xw30s with high HTHS. They are a more modern approval than the older full-SAPS 502s. Use with confidence.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I go by the use case you're in. If you're routinely running your oil to 275 degrees, spec to the 40w to keep pressure up. If you're staying under 245 on your oil, stick to the stock weight.

When my car was only seeing track use for months, it ran 10w60, but that was when peaking 295 pre oil cooler days. Blackstone results looked fine.

My amsoil Blackstone results look fantastic. Liquimoly also look great, but not quite as good as amsoil. I know some people seem to have luck with Mobil 1, but I did not. My results showed it sheared a lot and I found quite a bit of oil in the turbo and intercooler when using it. Stage 2 or not, it's always about the conditions you're under.

Ralm

Car(s)
Mk7 R
Thank you all.

The thing is that I'm using this car from Spring - Autumn. Never been used in winter neither, it will be used. And during these periods of year, especially during the summer, it gets very hot outside. It's like 3–6 months with about 30 C outside and during this period of time I'm basicity living in my car.

So I'm wondering does 5W40 cool the engine better since I'm not using this car during the cold days?
And btw on this stage after how many kilometers should I consider changing the oil?

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
A note about HTHS (high temperature high shear) value which is the one that is the one you should concern youself with for intense use like track driving....VW504 00.....min 3.5. VW502 00...min 3.5. The 504 30s are thick 30s and the 502 40s are thin 40s. Just a few things to keep in mind...nothing wrong with running a 504 on track, very stout modern oils.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thank you all.

The thing is that I'm using this car from Spring - Autumn. Never been used in winter neither, it will be used. And during these periods of year, especially during the summer, it gets very hot outside. It's like 3–6 months with about 30 C outside and during this period of time I'm basicity living in my car.

So I'm wondering does 5W40 cool the engine better since I'm not using this car during the cold days?
And btw on this stage after how many kilometers should I consider changing the oil?
5W40 doesn't cool anything more than anything else....in fact a thinner oil will run cooler typically but we are talking about v. small differences. The difference in a 30 and 40 grade Euro oil is v. small. The main difference is that the 504s (30s) are more modern and made to run on the lower-sulfur fuels (called "low SAPS" oil) and the the 502s (40s) are an older approval ("high SAPS" oil) which were developed to have an additive package for older high-sulfur fuels. The 502 will have a higher TBN number vs. the 504 with more calcium typically which for some engines is tied to LSPI. Don't get me wrong, you can run either but folks seems to shy away from anything that isn't the old-school 40 grade Euro and it's no longer necessary, an oil with the 504 approval is v. stout.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thank you all.

Technically a thinner oil like 5w30 will give you better gas mileage and like tigeo said, run cooler, nothing else aside. It's a tough question when you consider thermal capacity, flow rates, etc. The difference (in temps) that many people claim to see running thick oils is going to be marginal, and you can run too thick of an oil, if it doesn't flow well enough to keep a film on the crank and bearings. IMO, I'd run a 5w40 if you're seeing oil temps of 120c+ regularly.

A note about HTHS (high temperature high shear) value which is the one that is the one you should concern youself with for intense use like track driving....VW504 00.....min 3.5. VW502 00...min 3.5. The 504 30s are thick 30s and the 502 40s are thin 40s. Just a few things to keep in mind...nothing wrong with running a 504 on track, very stout modern oils.
5W40 doesn't cool anything more than anything else....in fact a thinner oil will run cooler typically but we are talking about v. small differences. The difference in a 30 and 40 grade Euro oil is v. small. The main difference is that the 504s (30s) are more modern and made to run on the lower-sulfur fuels (called "low SAPS" oil) and the the 502s (40s) are an older approval ("high SAPS" oil) which were developed to have an additive package for older high-sulfur fuels. The 502 will have a higher TBN number vs. the 504 with more calcium typically which for some engines is tied to LSPI. Don't get me wrong, you can run either but folks seems to shy away from anything that isn't the old-school 40 grade Euro and it's no longer necessary, an oil with the 504 approval is v. stout.

Also note that "thick 30s" and "thin 40s" are relative, and if you compare a 504 5w30 and a 502 5w40 (from comparable product lines), the 5w40 will still have a greater shear resistance and thicker viscosity. VW 504 is a spec primarily for emissions, and just because an oil lacks 504 doesn't mean it's not "more modern." 504 simply doesn't include any 40 weight oils. There are plenty of newer 502 5w40 formulations which have the API SP cert, for example, which is newer than 504 (and also means they have less calcium for LSPI prevention).

Ralm

Car(s)
Mk7 R
Technically a thinner oil like 5w30 will give you better gas mileage and like tigeo said, run cooler, nothing else aside. It's a tough question when you consider thermal capacity, flow rates, etc. The difference (in temps) that many people claim to see running thick oils is going to be marginal, and you can run too thick of an oil, if it doesn't flow well enough to keep a film on the crank and bearings. IMO, I'd run a 5w40 if you're seeing oil temps of 120c+ regularly.

Also note that "thick 30s" and "thin 40s" are relative, and if you compare a 504 5w30 and a 502 5w40 (from comparable product lines), the 5w40 will still have a greater shear resistance and thicker viscosity. VW 504 is a spec primarily for emissions, and just because an oil lacks 504 doesn't mean it's not "more modern." 504 simply doesn't include any 40 weight oils. There are plenty of newer 502 5w40 formulations which have the API SP cert, for example, which is newer than 504 (and also means they have less calcium for LSPI prevention).

IMO, I'd run a 5w40 if you're seeing oil temps of 120c+ regularly.

Temperature never get above 105 C no matter how hard I push it.