GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Tires Are Worthy?

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Okay, so after a little less than 9k miles on my Yokohama S.Drives, I'm forced with having to buy new tires. Those tires just suck donkey ballz as far as treadwear. I can't believe that after only 9k miles I'm on the wear indicators in the rear. The front would be the same, except they're showing more signs of camber wear than anything from my lack of getting an alignment when I has my SHS coilovers installed. Word to the wise: Don't skimp on the alignment when you get dropped.

So, I'm looking for reviews/experiences with decent tires for the AWD .:R. I'm really considering going w/ the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's since they have a 50k mile tread wear warranty. But I wanted to get opinions on what you guys have found works on the .:R. So let's hear it!

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
i Heard good stuff about the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS or DW

DWS Tests
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

Test Video : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

DW Test
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW

Test Video : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=120

also heard that continental specially made the DWS and the DW for the north american roads

**EDIT**

Driving in the U.S. and Canada vs. Europe or Asia is very different. The condition of our roads, the mix of urban driving plus extended highway cruising and even consumer preference vary. Continental Tire recognizes this as they develop tires tuned specifically for North American drivers.

Last edited:

h0ckeyfreek20

Go Kart Champion
not an R, but I LOVE my Eagle F1 assymetrics on my GTI.

amazing wet and dry traction and after several thousand miles i can't even notice any tread wear. And i drive the car pretty hard

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
not an R, but I LOVE my Eagle F1 assymetrics on my GTI.

amazing wet and dry traction and after several thousand miles i can't even notice any tread wear. And i drive the car pretty hard

According to the techs @ the dealership, the fact that it's an AWD makes a difference on tire wear, which makes sense. But thanks for the input. I'll take it into consideration.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
It does, AWD wears out tires faster. Another nice choice if you are looking at all seasons is the Nitto NeoGen. They have the M&S rating though they are really aggressive for all seasons. Had them on my Saab and they were a great handling tire that could still do wet weather and even light snow duty if needed.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
It does, AWD wears out tires faster. Another nice choice if you are looking at all seasons is the Nitto NeoGen. They have the M&S rating though they are really aggressive for all seasons. Had them on my Saab and they were a great handling tire that could still do wet weather and even light snow duty if needed.

I'll go ahead and agree with this because my buddy runs them on his 07 GTI. He autox'd on them many times and basically took corners quickly a lot of the time. He did highway driving on them too, but they are designed for lowered cars. He actually did pretty damn well at autox considering all he had was supersport springs on stock shocks at ~70k, a recirculating BOV, intake, and resonator delete.

Anyhow, I think he got over 25k on the tires. And as said, AWD does wear tires quicker. That and the fact that an R32 is ~3500lbs instead of a GTI's ~3150. So maybe you'd get around 20k if you drove the crap out of them? I don't know how much more quickly they'll wear out.

Another buddy of mine has a Mk4 R32 and he ran Kumho SPT's which he said sucked, but he autox's too. Then he had another set of the OEM Eagle F1 GS-D3's on, but I doubt those lasted much more than 12k. But he beats on his car both in acceleration out of turns rain or shine, and cornering on the street too.

He's just on H&R springs and his rear tires tend to wear more quickly as well. Probably because the Haldex puts the power to the back when you're going all out at the end of a turn.

He's on Kumho ASX tires now. But I'm not sure how many miles he'll get out of them.

FWIW, his dad has a MkV R32 and it had the OEM Dunlop all seasons on it. Now I know those are known to have weak sidewalls and are a fortune, but I want to say he got close to 40k out of them with the stock suspension. And he did a few autox events 2 seasons ago on them.

Hell, I managed to get more out of my autox setup which are a 200 treadwear tire. Hope that helps.

Doug18

Car(s)
R 32
i have bridgestone RE760s and i have been using them for almost a year (8k miles+) and they have been great so far excellent grip in every situation i have put them in and great treadwear (still look brand new)

fusiongt

Ready to race!
As people have mentioned, I would definitely pick either:

1. Continental Extreme Contact DW

OR

2. Eagle F1 Assymetrics

The Conti's are better in the rain and have more tread life while the Eagle's are also good in the rain (slightly worst but still better than most other tires) but then slightly better in dry conditions with a slightly worst tread life. The Eagle's are also more expensive making the Conti's a great value.

I've just ordered 4 of the Conti's and hope they're as good as all the tests have shown!

Lucidity

Marx
Anyone ever heard of Vredestein tires?

Everything I have read about them has been positive. They are supposed to be a great mix of performance and luxury.

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
Car(s)
Dubs
i have bridgestone RE760s and i have been using them for almost a year (8k miles+) and they have been great so far excellent grip in every situation i have put them in and great treadwear (still look brand new)

x1000
I have these on my summer wheels and I've luved them so far! Treadwear has been great and they provide great handling in dry and wet :thumbsup:

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
Another vote for the RE760. I have used two sets of RE750's and they lasted, gripped really well in dry and wet. And something I never thought of until I rode on my first set, they are really quiet