GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels spin coming out of 1st when it's slick out followed by thunk thunk noise

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Ok so it was a little slick this morning but nothing too bad. Thought I could take off aggressively as I had a clear stretch ahead of me. Well right out of first gear the tires just spun, the little yellow traction blinking light came on and then I heard a thunk thunk from the passenger front wheel. Of course I let off and drove normal feeling frustrated I couldn't go fast. LOL! Was this what everyone calls wheel hop? Is this bad or will it hurt the car's suspension or steering components in any way? Seemed to drive normal and find the rest of the way to work so I don't think I hurt anything but just want to be sure. Thanks guys!

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yes it's wheel hop. While you don't want to make a habit of doing it regularly, this one off won't have hurt anything.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Yes it's wheel hop. While you don't want to make a habit of doing it regularly, this one off won't have hurt anything.
Okay thank you! Yeah from now on when it's slick I wont be gunning it out of first. Just got the car so I def don't want to ruin it. Eventually I'll get better tires too so that'll help.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Yea, that really nasty banging/shuddering is wheel hop, when I got my tune it went away.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Disable traction control via vagcom or another cable. Full press will turn it completely off. You can also disable torque limiter on some years. I don't get wheel hop at all anymore; I think lowering the car has also helped me.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The only thing to get rid of wheel hop is a doggone insert and better tires.

^ this

Spark based traction control also helps kill the fun police/over reactive fuel cuts.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Spark based traction control also helps kill the fun police/over reactive fuel cuts.
[/QUOTE]

Do you need a Cobb or Stratified tune for this?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

[/QUOTE]

I believe so.

APR V2 may have it too.

I have it and it made a huge diff In traction and has stopped the TC overreacting and shutting down the party.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Oh nice! How does the tune fix this? I would think more power from the tune would make the wheels spin/hop more.
I believe it’s because they spin much faster than stock, so it doesn’t have the same natural frequency.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT

I believe so.

APR V2 may have it too.

I have it and it made a huge diff In traction and has stopped the TC overreacting and shutting down the party.
[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty invested in the Eurodyne ecosystem at the moment, otherwise I'd check out what Stratified has to offer. No fuel cut-off sounds gnarly and fun.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Dogbone, engine mounts, and sticky tires. Three most important ingredients in nixing wheel hop.

Will say that spark based traction control sounds really cool, would love to have a chance to see how it feels .

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie