GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Restoration

Elwood

3-7-77
I picked up a set of Hufs that are pretty much rash free. The clear coat on the machined surface doesn't look too hot on a couple of the wheels, though. There are some light scratches, bubbles and peeling in the finish. Any suggestions on how to clean these up?

I've already tried polish and it helped a bit. I've been thinking about some 2000 grit sandpaper on the machined surface and then spraying the whole wheel with clearcoat. Thoughts?

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
I don't think that you can do much to save machined finish, but I could be wrong.

Might want to seize this opportunity to just re-finish the whole wheel!

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
^^^ That.

Might as well just try and strip the clear and start all over. It would be much less time consuming to start all over than it would be to sand level and respray just certain parts. Plus if you do the whole wheel your garuntteed a finish that matchs. It takes a good 2 days of work to complete a full set of wheels, but its a pretty rewarding mod. Look around, there are a few DIY's on the subject depending on what you decide to do. :thumbsup:

CleanA4

Ready to race!
Car(s)
DA Audi
It would be best to start from the base and work your way up.
Sand it down it 80
Then move up to 180,320,400, 600(wetsand), 800(wetsand) 1000 (wetsand). You can go more into the wetsanding but 1000 would a good place to stop.
Then go to home depot and pick up a polishing kit. IT has three buffing wheels that you can put on your drill. Then use the Soft cloths and Mothers finishing aluminum polish to clean it up. Then use the whte rouge and put some on all the areas of the face that you sanded.Get your drill and put the buffing wheels and start buffing. Once you start to buff the wheel with the rouge it will start to looks like a mirror finish wheel that you had when you bought the car.