GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

whats the difference..

What is the difference between a "coil over kit" and a "cup kit"? I'm planning to lower my car on coils this upcoming summer, but looking online right now i also see those "cup kits", which look like the same thing as a coil over kit?? My car is a daily driver, i don't do autox or any of that; and my guess is that those cup kits are made more for the autox crew?

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Cup fixed is fixed lowering
Coilovers can be adjusted

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
This is a reason why i hate the term "coilover"... Our cars are already on coil springs

"Coilovers" have adjustable perches where the coil springs sit on that allows you to adjust height

Sent from my HTC Glacier

brian9892

Ramblin' Wreck
Technically, "coilover" just means a spring (coil) wrapped around the strut. So in actuality, the rears of our cars don't have true coilovers. The term has just come to mean an aftermarket spring/strut kit that allows height adjustment

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Technically, "coilover" just means a spring (coil) wrapped around the strut. So in actuality, the rears of our cars don't have true coilovers. The term has just come to mean an aftermarket spring/strut kit that allows height adjustment
+1

Coilover literally means a coil spring over a shock haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

We've just come to recognize the term coilovers as adjustable coilovers. Anyway though, "cup kit" to my knowledge means just a spring and shock combo that is non-height adjustable. "Coilovers" would be height adjustable and in some cases damping adjustable. :smile: