GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Phone?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
So I currently have a rooted Evo4g which does everything I want. Problem is it's not very reliable. Battery lasts one day but, the phone tends to crash on apps like Waze, and Google Maps. Also the phone is quite literally falling apart. The power button has lost its clicky-ness and the phone casing is cracked and the phone has never been dropped.

So I'm looking at Android, iPhone, and Windows Phones. I'm kinda really looking to pick up a Windows phone right now but, the only thing holding me back is fear that I can't tether. I'm currently on Sprint and don't pay to tether since I'm rooted so unlimited 4g tethering.

Requirements: Can tether for free and reliable (good call quality, doesn't frequently crash) and must have some kind of taptalk app.

So for phones I'm looking at the following. Carriers don't matter since I'll most likely ditch Sprint.

Android: HTC One and S4
Windows Phones: Lumia 920
iPhone: 4s or 5

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
S4 is more of the same since the S2. I've been looking...and if you're gonna go with Android...I'd get the HTC One. If you root/jailbreak your Android device or iOS device, you'll be able to tether for free.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I still like my 4S but I do less on my phone than most of you kids. I pretty much make calls, browse the internet, listen to pandora, and use google maps. No texting, no games, etc.

Pros for iphone: Smaller than competition, typically better developer and accessory market, and great battery life.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the same boat as you are, rooted Evo4G. I plan on keeping this thing until it dies. If I get bored of it, I'll just flash a new ROM on it.

But if I had to upgrade now or within the next few months, I would probably go with the S4 because of the specs, the prowess of the current S3, and the fact that it has removable storage/battery. If there is a new one by the time I upgrade, I'll probably look toward the Nexus because I like that plain Google experience.

That said, the HTC One (X, and other models) look great as well. The Windows phones are pretty sweet, I liked it a lot when I played around with my friend's, but not enough to steer me away from Android. I also think the iPhones are great, but I'm not a fan of the whole locked down experience you have when using an iPhone.

Out of curiosity, what ROM do you have flashed on your Evo currently?

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i been using my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now about to get the 5 most likely, it recently starting problems for me like i have to press the volume up button hard in order to raise up the volume, it occasionally freezes and when your using an app, it starts to freeze and seconds late goes to its home page, sometimes i use my home and top power button hold it for 10 seconds till its off and starts to come on, but nowadays apple is becoming to fall apart compared to other smart phones in the market, id chose the 5, but thats just me

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I've always had iPhones and the current iPhone5 is *yawn. If I didn't have "apple everything" I'd look elsewhere. The iPhone platform is incredibly antiquated.

The SG4 is looking very promising and I may leap over later this year.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
After working my last job I developed an intense like for Android and the majority of its users.

I say go with the iOS platform.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I get iPhones through work. But if the choice was up to me I would probably get the LG Optimus L9 that we got my wife.

Combine the T-Mobile $30/month 100minutes/unlimited data plan and a google voice number with the talkatone app and you've got unlimited everything for a bargain.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
S4 is my vote. I used Apple for 3Gs then 4, and then I got my first android, never lookin' back. Gonna try to snatch an S4 the day they come out, so excited ~_~

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I have the Galaxy 3 T-Mobile! The best phone I have owned next to my Iphone. I would say stay Android. My cousin who is into Cell Phones really like Windows Mobile. He has owned just about every new phone out there. He is a tester for numerous companies.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I had a iPhone 3G and 4 before switching to my Galaxy S3. I really like the bigger screen, swipe to text, and customization options.

I don't root or jailbreak my phones or whatever you call it thou. I always read about people having problems with freezes or crashing when that is done.

JhnR

Banned
i5

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
I've had an iPhone since the 3GS. Have a 5 now. I completely understand where people are coming from when they say the don't like the locked down experience. However, with the release of the Evasi0n jailbreak, you get the ability to customize things and tether for free. I don't have any complaints about call quality on my end and nobody on the other end has ever complained.

That being said, I had an S3 for a brief period. It was a pretty awesome phone. It has the ability to customize pretty much anything - like most androids. One rooted, it opened up a ton of stuff. However, it just wasn't my cup of tea. There was almost too much ability to customize in my opinion - I could never get it set up in a way I liked. I do really miss google wallet tough. Was pretty nice to just be able to tap my phone to pay for things.