GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What it means to go "Tailgating"

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Welp I just had an extremely amusing conversation with a fellow associate regarding what tailgating before a sporting event meant and where it came from. He proceeded to tell me that he asked his wife last night and she didn't know the meaning. After talking for a while and me making the comment of how do you tailgate in your Hyundai? It became clear that he didn't know what it actually meant. So I asked what do you think it means? I found his response although well thought out, quite funny.

His response:
Well i didn't actually know so i was thinking about it before i asked her
and the common sense answer i came up with
you're waiting for the gates to an event to open.. thus you're tailing the time spent waiting for the gates to open by partying. hence tailgating.

This was quickly followed by:
If you laugh at me i will punch you in the face
the actual definition must have come from some hick town.

I figured someone else would get a good laugh out of this. :lol:

Govi

Passed Driver's Ed
It came from two things: the decision by the NFL to stop selling beer or hard liquor (I forget the details...I've never attended a football game) in stadiums, hence the need to get drunk before the event, safely, in the stadium's parking lot. Getting drunk before the event was accomplished by letting the tailgate down on one's pickup truck in the parking lot and using it as a liquor bar. Tailgate parties.

Or perhaps you mean going through turnstiles/doors on the backend of the person who's actually paid for their ticket, or who has an authorizing badge?

And of course, there is driving so close that the tailgate of the truck in front is an issue for your front bumper. If you do that, you should die in a fire, IMO.

raaalph

Ready to race!
Tailgating comes from a party before a social event on or around the back of a pickup truck. Hence the term "tailgating" I thought this was common knowledge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgate_party

This...it's because of a tailgate on a truck. To the other definitions:

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
He grew up in CT and loves going to football games and fantasy football. That's what made it even more surprising.

I grew up in CT and I know what it means. It means having the tailgate of a truck open, partying before a sporting event. I tailgated with my friend's BMW this past weekend, the trunk was open and full of adult beverages.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Come to a SEC school and tailgate. Quite a different experience :D

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
qft

lsu
bama

LSU vs Bama = world explodes and death by alcohol

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk witg erroes

Come to the one this weekend AU vs. LSU :D I'll be there (possibly), committing death by alcohol

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
if you tailgate in a GTI would it then be called "hatchbacking"? :lol:

:lol: Yes! My friends asks if we could tailgate in my month old GTI and I almost passed out at the thought! ULM v. Baylor tomorrow! Go Warhawks :))

Last edited:

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
Come to the one this weekend AU vs. LSU :D I'll be there (possibly), committing death by alcohol

Going to school in Louisiana, I feel obligated to be an LSU fan for risk of death (lol) and I went to a game season before last...they DEFINITELY take tailgating to a whole new level!