GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do you guys do when..

beitzel15

Passed Driver's Ed
You need a truck for something?

First off, I really would like to have a challenger or mustang gt, but thats out of the question... Ill be buying a house before too long and figured having a truck would be nice if I wanted to do any projects around the house and had to get supplies, lumber, concrete.. etc etc and I like trucks, a lot but not crazy about 18mpg......

So, to the guys with the gti and are home owners... what do you guys do when you need to get stuff to build a porch or something like that and dont have a truck?

DarkCloak

Banned
Most of the stuff can fit in you VW. Plus, most places will deliver for free or very low charge (furniture, lumber, etc...). For a local move you can just rent a U-haul as a pickup won't be big enough anyway.

All in all though most pickup owners I know do not use the truck to justify the price. Sure you might spend $200/year on rentals. But that is easily outweighed by by spending an extra $200/month on gas.
The big thing to ask yourself is "How often are you really going to need a truck?" Usually it is much less than expected.

beitzel15

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of the stuff can fit in you VW. Plus, most places will deliver for free or very low charge (furniture, lumber, etc...). For a local move you can just rent a U-haul as a pickup won't be big enough anyway.

All in all though most pickup owners I know do not use the truck to justify the price. Sure you might spend $200/year on rentals. But that is easily outweighed by by spending an extra $200/month on gas.
The big thing to ask yourself is "How often are you really going to need a truck?" Usually it is much less than expected.

Yeah, thats the thing.. I like trucks though and how big they are.. but at the same time, I like cars equally.. But yeah, I wouldnt "need" a truck that much at all. I had a chance to buy a 04 f150 fx4 a few years back at a crazy good price but didnt because I didnt want 15mpg on the hwy!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I do home remodeling on the side and always rent a cargo van from U-Haul. Its the best deal and has worked out really well for me. Just plan your trips out so you maximize the van while its in your possession.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
one of 2 things, our dealerships parts truck is a extender cargo Dodge Sprinter that I can borough, and my best friend has a Hummer with the pick up truck type bed and an enclosed trailer.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
I own a business with fifteen trucks. Lol sorry I know that's a dick way to brag, but if I were you I'd call a friend or rent one for 20 bucks or so. Or you could go buy a beater truck for a grand (or less) and keep it in the side yard. That's what my friends neighbor has.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Phone a friend....half the military owns a truck....100% of the military likes alcohol of some sort... I normally buy them beer and they haul my stuff.

beitzel15

Passed Driver's Ed
Phone a friend....half the military owns a truck....100% of the military likes alcohol of some sort... I normally buy them beer and they haul my stuff.

You'd be surprised.. lol, well, most of the guys in my unit havent deployed, but we are deploying in a few months.. so right now, I'd say there's maybe 4-6 trucks out of 60 people.... I bet that changes when we get back though.. maybe, I do hear a lot of "I WANT THAT NEW SS CAMARO WHEN I GET HOME!" talk going on.

I want a stage 3 gti and spank that camaro from a roll ;0 (maybe)

emk6

Ready to race!
I borrow my uncles truck when he is not using it. Otherwise I go to U-Haul.