GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The GTI was my first car with small-sidewall tires and in the first year or so I curbed my Austins twice. One wasn't my fault, I was coming up on an acute right turn on my way back to my house in college and the girl behind me in a huge SUV was texting and didn't see my signal even though I had it on forever before the turn. So I had to take the turn super fast or else she would have rear ended me. The second was me backing out of a corner spot in a Chipotle parking lot where there was a curb that went way farther than I thought and I turned the wheel too soon. Since I got my aftermarkets wheels I havent had any mistakes yet.

Point being, before I had small sidewall tires, I never had to worry about it. The rubber on my Camry always was higher than the curbs. I guess most people aren't used to the skinny rubber?

This isn’t an attack against curbed wheels, I bought a set damaged (for less than scrap value mind you), paid to have them fixed and then curbed one lol. It happens and I’m pretty sure everyone’s done it.

Point is if you curb a wheel it is the same as crashing a car. It’s worth basically nothing unless it’s professionally repaired, yet people post up destroyed wheels for mint condition prices

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Point is if you curb a wheel it is the same as crashing a car. It’s worth basically nothing unless it’s professionally repaired, yet people post up destroyed wheels for mint condition prices
Yeah and fixing and getting wheels repainted is enough to buy a new wheel basically. The only way you could ask for good money for curbed wheels is if some Brocks came up on the market.......

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah and fixing and getting wheels repainted is enough to buy a new wheel basically. The only way you could ask for good money for curbed wheels is if some Brocks came up on the market.......

Not familiar with Brocks.

Two and three piece wheels are nice because you can replace just a bent or curbed lip, but again still expensive.

I’m still always on the hunt for authentic BBS LM ...I know most Mk7 guys don’t like them, but those and CCW Classics have always been on my wheel bucket list

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Refinishing runs about $100-125 a wheel around here.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I have new wheels now some of you know, but day 2 of owning my mk7 in 2017, I curbed the rear wheel bad, then over the length of like 2.5 years curbed all 4, bought wider 235 vs 225 this time on new wheels, woulda when 245 but might have had clearance issues. lol F in the chat

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Not familiar with Brocks.

I LOVE them....DEEP dish
brock.jpg

Refinishing runs about $100-125 a wheel around here.
similar here, but without painting and that would be a small scratch/scuffing

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Turbo blanket and wrapped my downpipe during reinstallation today. Even with gloves, mask, glasses, mechanic suit, just based on how itchy i still am, i will go on a limb and say NO it is not worth it. Lol

20200928_165351.jpg
20200928_165410.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well, its a metal integrated engineering tube but yeah, i did that a while with some extra material just for the hell of it lol. I know, i would be better off with gold wrap.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Installed my Audi rear harmonic silencer. Not very expensive and the install was super easy. Interior sound volumes are definitely quieter now.